RIP Oedo the WonderFish

  • June
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2002
      Sad but true- Oedo shuffled off his mortal coil sometime between
      yesterday afternoon and this morning, in the spawning tank. No spawn
      was forthcoming, unfortunately. He is survived by his would-be wife,
      Endive, and his very sad owner, Ariel. I'm suspecting age-related
      problems, probably exacerbated by the stress of the attempted spawn.
      Burial services were this afternoon.

      Ariel and I talked about it, though, and I think we still want to
      spawn a pair, hopefully to get another good fish or two from it for
      showing. I have come up with two possible spawns... opinions?

      One would be the CT/Salamander female from Kathy Waters, crossed with
      the marble-carrying result of Larissa's spawn with my black marble
      plakat female. The male in question would be a perfect black/red
      butterfly, *except* for the blue in his rays (almost makes me cry-
      his butterfly pattern is good). This would be the "gamble" spawn-
      something really cool could come out of it, or it could be a bust.

      The other would be to put the lovely female from Wendy and Dennis
      (opaque/irridescent??) in with one of the males bought at the show-
      the marble male with white and a purple-blue on his fins (I can't
      recall if he was the Ewtuch NE-1 pattern male or the Page E2 multi
      male... anyone hazard a guess)? I think this would be the more
      likely spawn to get a few decent fish from, as the male and female
      are from good lines. But not as potentially interesting (or perhaps
      it is).

      Any thoughts? I don't really want to do two spawns... though I
      suppose I could if that was the overwhelming suggestion. Any flaws
      in the above? I still have the solid blue female, too, but don't
      entirely trust her now thanks to Oedo's demise; my other female is
      the Dragon Aquarium rescue, who is a turquoise/marble/?. Other
      possible combinations?

      TTFN,
      June

      --
    • Nicole Field
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2002
        June I'm so sorry! He was a beautful fish and well
        loved! I know what it is like to lose a beloved fish,
        I still miss poor splash. :( I'm truely sorry.
        Nicole

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • alatri
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 8, 2002
          --- In CaliforniaBettas@y..., June <june@s...> wrote:
          > Sad but true- Oedo shuffled off his mortal coil sometime between
          > yesterday afternoon and this morning, in the spawning tank.

          :( :( Sorry to hear about that!!

          I've lost a couple of my absolute favorite fish that way and
          not only do a regreat the loss of the fish, but not having the
          genes passed on is also sad.

          > Ariel and I talked about it, though, and I think we still want to
          > spawn a pair, hopefully to get another good fish or two from it for
          > showing.

          :) Glad you're still going to try! ;)

          > One would be the CT/Salamander female from Kathy Waters, crossed
          with
          > the marble-carrying result of Larissa's spawn with my black marble
          > plakat female. The male in question would be a perfect black/red
          > butterfly, *except* for the blue in his rays (almost makes me cry-
          > his butterfly pattern is good). This would be the "gamble" spawn-
          > something really cool could come out of it, or it could be a bust.

          I like this one... ;-)

          > The other would be to put the lovely female from Wendy and Dennis
          > (opaque/irridescent??) in with one of the males bought at the show-
          > the marble male with white and a purple-blue on his fins (I can't
          > recall if he was the Ewtuch NE-1 pattern male or the Page E2 multi
          > male... anyone hazard a guess)? I think this would be the more
          > likely spawn to get a few decent fish from, as the male and female
          > are from good lines. But not as potentially interesting (or perhaps
          > it is).

          This is also good. ;-)

          Or cross the marble male with one of the females out of the
          marble/plaquat spawn... :)

          > I still have the solid blue female, too,

          Her to the marble strain would also be good.

          It all sounds good, lol -- I can never make up my own mind, let
          alone another spawn.

          Good luck in what you do decide!

          Smiles,
          -- Lari
        • June
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 8, 2002
            >I've lost a couple of my absolute favorite fish that way and
            >not only do a regreat the loss of the fish, but not having the
            >genes passed on is also sad.

            That was a lot of it. The blue girl is really good, they would have
            made lovely babies. She's a tough little fishy, very big and "butch"
            :^)

            > > One would be the CT/Salamander female from Kathy Waters, crossed
            >with
            >> the marble-carrying result of Larissa's spawn with my black marble
            >> plakat female. The male in question would be a perfect black/red
            >> butterfly, *except* for the blue in his rays (almost makes me cry-
            >> his butterfly pattern is good). This would be the "gamble" spawn-
            >> something really cool could come out of it, or it could be a bust.
            >
            >I like this one... ;-)

            this is the one I went with. The male is young and very vigorous
            (with the plakat heritage), and has been building great nests. No
            spawn thus far (let her loose Saturday), but seems to be going all
            right otherwise.

            >Or cross the marble male with one of the females out of the
            >marble/plaquat spawn... :)

            My females from that spawn (being in a community tank) haven't grown
            out enough to spawn. I also think the presence of the three bigger
            females may be inhibiting them. I think I'll be moving them out to a
            divided 10g with fewer fish per section once I get them cleaned up
            and ready to go (planning a couple of major "fish care days" this
            week).

            >It all sounds good, lol -- I can never make up my own mind, let
            >alone another spawn.

            I would have done two, but I'm still not convinced of the wisdom of
            doing one, even though I'm doing it. We pick up our Golden
            Retriever baby on Saturday (ariel is counting the hours!), so I think
            our hands will be quite full! At least the chickens went to their
            new home in Forestville last night!

            TTFN,
            June

            --
          • vega8@att.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 8, 2002
              > The blue girl is really good, they would have
              > made lovely babies. She's a tough little fishy, very big and "butch"
              > :^)

              LOL! ;-)

              > > > One would be the CT/Salamander female from Kathy Waters, crossed
              > >with
              > >> the marble-carrying result of Larissa's spawn with my black marble
              > >> plakat female. The male in question would be a perfect black/red
              > >> butterfly, *except* for the blue in his rays (almost makes me cry-
              > >> his butterfly pattern is good). This would be the "gamble" spawn-
              > >> something really cool could come out of it, or it could be a bust.
              > >
              > >I like this one... ;-)
              >
              > this is the one I went with. The male is young and very vigorous
              > (with the plakat heritage), and has been building great nests. No
              > spawn thus far (let her loose Saturday), but seems to be going all
              > right otherwise.

              Cool! :) {crosses fingers}

              > >Or cross the marble male with one of the females out of the
              > >marble/plaquat spawn... :)
              >
              > My females from that spawn (being in a community tank) haven't grown
              > out enough to spawn.

              I've got bunches. ;-) Just let me know if you ever
              need to borrow any. :) :) Or have! There are only
              about 10 or so that I *really* want to keep for myself.

              > I also think the presence of the three bigger
              > females may be inhibiting them. I think I'll be moving them out to a
              > divided 10g with fewer fish per section once I get them cleaned up
              > and ready to go (planning a couple of major "fish care days" this
              > week).

              Since it's high summer, I keep planning on creating a
              big "grow-out" tank outside out of some large plastic
              buckets and a lot of water. ;-) One of these days
              I'll get a round tuit.

              > >It all sounds good, lol -- I can never make up my own mind, let
              > >alone another spawn.
              >
              > I would have done two, but I'm still not convinced of the wisdom of
              > doing one, even though I'm doing it. We pick up our Golden
              > Retriever baby on Saturday (ariel is counting the hours!), so I think
              > our hands will be quite full! At least the chickens went to their
              > new home in Forestville last night!

              Cute!!!! :) :)

              Yes, the new addition to the household will turn everything
              upside down for awhile, sounds like. ;-) Think of it this
              way -- the fish should be *easy* after taking care of the
              new puppy. ;-) ;-)

              Smiles,
              -- Lari ^..^
            • chris c
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 8, 2002
                >From: vega8@...
                >To: CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [CBS] New spawns...
                >Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 22:33:08 +0000
                >
                >Since it's high summer, I keep planning on creating a
                >big "grow-out" tank outside out of some large plastic
                >buckets and a lot of water. ;-) One of these days
                >I'll get a round tuit.

                Home Depot has these nice big plastic tubs (the 39 gallon Sterlite "locker"
                comes with a removable lid and was only $5.98 last week, but lots of
                50gallon Rubbermaid and Sterlite "lockers" for about $8 or $9 regular price,
                I believe) that look sturdy enough for a big grow out tank. I just got the
                39 gallon for my new goldfish pond. I put in a waterlily and some four-leaf
                clover waterplants and some java moss. And all 3 goldfish are still in
                there. I only mention that because we have lots of cats in the neighborhood,
                3 ferals that live in our backyard and I'm pretty sure there are raccoons
                and opossums around. I like that the containers have high edges so the fish
                don't jump out and the other animals need to have pretty long arms to reach
                in without falling in.

                Good luck with your spawns.

                Chris

              • June
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 9, 2002
                  > > My females from that spawn (being in a community tank) haven't grown
                  >> out enough to spawn.
                  >
                  >I've got bunches. ;-) Just let me know if you ever
                  >need to borrow any. :) :) Or have! There are only
                  >about 10 or so that I *really* want to keep for myself.

                  thanks, but NO MORE FISH :^) If I have a spawn, I'm going to need
                  to figure out what to do with them, much less the other fry from that
                  spawn (plus I don't want to spawn siblings- got a fairly negative
                  result from that the one time I tried).

                  >Since it's high summer, I keep planning on creating a
                  >big "grow-out" tank outside out of some large plastic
                  >buckets and a lot of water. ;-) One of these days
                  >I'll get a round tuit.

                  My spawn set-up is on the patio- unfortunately, today the tank got
                  *very* warm out there! I went out after dark and poured some cool
                  water in, sort of the "spring rain" effect, to see if that might
                  motivate them.

                  >Yes, the new addition to the household will turn everything
                  >upside down for awhile, sounds like. ;-) Think of it this
                  >way -- the fish should be *easy* after taking care of the
                  >new puppy. ;-) ;-)

                  For sure. Though Puppydear (name undetermined until we meet her;
                  we've met the litter, but won't know exactly which pup is ours until
                  the breeder does temperment tests this week) will be primarily
                  Ariel's dog and responsibility, I am definitely going to get involved
                  with her training and such. If I'm going to have a dog, I want one
                  who is a pleasure to be around, not an undisciplined, jumping,
                  licking pain in the butt. Between me and the cats, we'll have our
                  hands full in the training. Misty has already had some practice,
                  hissing at the dog we were dog-sitting last week when she got too
                  bouncy in Misty's face.

                  TTFN,
                  June