Re: [CBS] Betta won't eat

  • Karlton Lau
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 7, 2004
      surfn_grl wrote:

      > I have a female who will no longer eat. She won't eat frozen brine or
      > bloodworms and she used to eat anything, even pellets or flakes.

      Try a 50% water change, a pinch of aquarium salt per 8 oz of the fish's
      container volume and raising the temperature.

      > Water temp is 82 and externally, she looks healthy although she has
      > some white string stuff hanging out where her egg spot is.

      I believe this is a symptom of an internal parasite, and if that's the case,
      a parasiticide of some sort is in order.

      Dennis,

      Do you think that Jungle's Parasite Guard would be good for this? It
      contains praziquantel, which is effective on discus flukes.

      -Karlton

      > Any idea what I should do? I'm thinking of separating her.
      >

      > Club Homepage http://cbsbettas.org/
      >
      > Community email addresses:
      >
      > Shortcut URL to this page: http://www.egroups.com/group/CaliforniaBettas
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • surfn_grl
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2004
        Thanks, now I know it may be an internal parasite. I've separated
        her in some water with some Myracin 2 for now. Will that help?

        > > I have a female who will no longer eat. She won't eat frozen
        brine or
        > > bloodworms and she used to eat anything, even pellets or flakes.
        > >

        > Try a 50% water change, a pinch of aquarium salt per 8 oz of the
        fish's
        > container volume and raising the temperature.
        >

        > > Water temp is 82 and externally, she looks healthy although she
        has
        > > some white string stuff hanging out where her egg spot is.
        >
        > I believe this is a symptom of an internal parasite, and if that's
        the case,
        > a parasiticide of some sort is in order.
        >
        > Dennis,
        >
        > Do you think that Jungle's Parasite Guard would be good for this?
        It
        > contains praziquantel, which is effective on discus flukes.
        >

        > -Karlton
        >

        > > Any idea what I should do? I'm thinking of separating her.
        > >

        > > Club Homepage http://cbsbettas.org/
        > >
        > > Community email addresses:
        > >
        > > Shortcut URL to this page:
        http://www.egroups.com/group/CaliforniaBettas

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Karlton Lau
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 8, 2004
          Maracyn-II and Maracyn both are for bacterial diseases mainly and will not
          help. You need to use something that is effective on parasites like
          formalin, Parasite-Aid, Clout, etc. It's trickier since the infection is
          internal in the fish's gut -- you really need to get the medication into the
          fish, not just the water.

          I just remembered that for discus people mix up the food with mashed raw
          garlic. I guess you could try soaking some frozen food with juice squeezed
          from a garlic press, but not sure how effective that would be. If you made
          your own fish food from fresh fish and lean chicken meat (blended in a food
          processor), that might work better.

          Just a thought.

          -Karlton

          surfn_grl wrote:

          > Thanks, now I know it may be an internal parasite. I've separated
          > her in some water with some Myracin 2 for now. Will that help?
          > >
          > > > I have a female who will no longer eat. She won't eat frozen
          > brine or
          > > > bloodworms and she used to eat anything, even pellets or flakes.
          > > >

          > > Try a 50% water change, a pinch of aquarium salt per 8 oz of the
          > fish's
          > > container volume and raising the temperature.
          > >

          > > > Water temp is 82 and externally, she looks healthy although she
          > has
          > > > some white string stuff hanging out where her egg spot is.
          > >
          > > I believe this is a symptom of an internal parasite, and if that's
          > the case,
          > > a parasiticide of some sort is in order.
          > >
          > > Dennis,
          > >
          > > Do you think that Jungle's Parasite Guard would be good for this?
          > It
          > > contains praziquantel, which is effective on discus flukes.
          > >

          > > -Karlton
          > >

          > > > Any idea what I should do? I'm thinking of separating her.
          > > >

          > > > Club Homepage http://cbsbettas.org/
          > > >
          > > > Community email addresses:
          > > >
          > > > Shortcut URL to this page:
          > http://www.egroups.com/group/CaliforniaBettas
          > > >
          > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Club Homepage http://cbsbettas.org/
          >
          > Community email addresses:
          >
          > Shortcut URL to this page: http://www.egroups.com/group/CaliforniaBettas
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Cosmin Dini
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 8, 2004
            Howdy,

            Pepso is an anti-parasitic food you might want to try. But since your
            fish does not eat, that is pointless.

            Try to get some Panacur (fenbendazole). I believe that this (as well
            as flubendazole) are absorbed by the fish.

            I got mine here:
            http://www.calvetsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=103

            If your fish is your hope to obtain [please enter the line you are
            trying to develop] which can not wait, please email me your address
            and I can send you some of my Panacur: wm_crash AT hotmail DOT com

            On a similar note, Panacur is something that you would generally want
            to keep on hand (I have a packet in my wallet). It covers so many
            things so well: velvet, ick, cosia, hydra, anchor worms, as well as
            the ever so present "nameless unidentifiable parasite". I have used
            it on 2 day old fry with no problems. You can not overdose
            this . . . it is VERY insoluble, and it so happens that what does
            dissolve is enough to deal with parasites. I use about same the
            amount of salt you would sprinkle on a slice of tomato to treat a 10G
            tank. And that is way more than can get dissolved anyways since I can
            see some solid sprinkles on tank bottom.

            One thing to keep in ming is that this will also kill any blackworms
            living in your tank. It will basically kill anything that does not
            have a skeleton (either internal or exoskeleton), i.e. it is OK with
            daphnia and shrimp cultures, and it is snail friendly.

            And hi to the whole gang !! I've been fishless for a while now and
            will probably consider getting some wild bettas soon. Hope you all
            have been well and gathered up a lot of IBC points :)

            take care,
            wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

            --- In CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com, surfn_grl <no_reply@y...>

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 9, 2004
              I tried to find some Clout yesterday with no luck. I will call
              around for some Panacur. Thanks for your suggestion!