Shipping Bettas

  • Larissa
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
      I just answered a question on the YahooGroups
      about shipping and thought I'd repost here. The
      answer's a bit trunkated, but I think I've covered
      the basics. Does anybody know a website with
      all this info???

      Smiles,
      -- Larissa ^..^

      Shipping is always a very important topic. There
      are a few main things to be considered when
      sending fish through the mail:

      1. Temperature for the fish. How is the weather
      here? How is the weather there? Will the fish
      need extra heat in their box?
      - The primary thing done to compensate for *all*
      fish shipping is to use a thick styrofoam box
      for them. A cardboard box on the outside to get
      through the mail, but the styrofoam is essential
      for maintaining a general temperature inside the
      box for the fish.
      http://www.reptilepackaging.com has both boxes
      and heat packs -- but be sure and cover the
      "keep cool" on the outside of their boxes!
      - If it's going to be very cold, a lot of people
      are using "heat packs" to keep the air inside
      the boxes warm. One place that sells them is:
      http://www.rldtheheatsource.com
      If you use them, tape the pack to the top of the
      box *away* from the fish -- too much heat will
      kill as easily as too cold.

      2. Conditions in the box. It's going to be
      bounced around like all mail is -- think about
      it for the the fish inside!
      - Pack the box tightly, no matter how many or
      few fish you're sending. Make sure that the
      bags are upright, solidly in there, and the rest
      of the box is filled with packing material such
      as styrofoam nuggets or newspaper.

      3. Time of shipping. There are a lot of ways
      and means to get the fish out there. Do some
      research with shipping methods.
      - Most betta people prefer to use "Express Mail"
      because Fed Ex doesn't take live animals (and
      doesn't heat their planes).

      4. Conditions for the fish being shipped. They're
      in those bags for at least a few days!
      - Make sure they're bagged properly. Use the
      long betta bags rather than the bigger regular
      fish bags. For bettas, air is more important
      than water. When closing the top, knot it
      rather than rubber banding as this is more
      secure in travel. Then double-bag the fish
      by placing the first bag inside a second for
      extra protection.

      If you come to the next California Betta meeting,
      I'll have some demo materials to show you -- it's
      always easier to do when somebody helps!

      Smiles!
      -- Larissa ^..^

    • midnightjaz
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2002
        Ok, FedEx just told me they don't ship live animals. Has anyone
        shipped fish who can give me some advice? I remember somewhere there
        was some talk about some other air courier service that was more
        reliable and cheaper than FedEx--anyone remember what the name might
        be? Thanks, I finally found someone who wants some of my fish but
        now I can't get them up to her.
      • shaved777
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 13, 2002
          They never asked me what was in the package and I never bothered to
          tell them. Their insurance does not cover live stuff anyways, and
          they don't treat it any differently from other packages.

          Now if you're shipping the fishies abroad, it's a different story.

          the friendly hooligan