Re: [CBS] Re: LFS

  • Wright Huntley
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 2000
      Don,

      Please give any store carrying painted fish (dye injected) a *much* worse
      rating than this. Like "zero" would fit the choice of many of us here on
      this list. 4.5 out of five sends quite the wrong message, IMHO.

      I've been there and looked around. No *way* would I buy any of the fresh
      water fish, odd or common. Even though it's one of the closest stores to
      where I live, we won't miss this one when it goes away in a few months.
      Bogeys is a *far* better place to buy fresh-water fish, and look at its
      rating in the CBS listings. {I don't buy fish there, either, BTW.]

      My $0.02,

      Wright

      PS I didn't see any plastic Bow-Front tanks when I was in there. He was just
      unwrapping some new dry goods though, so could have missed.

      --

      Wright Huntley, Fremont CA, USA, 510 612-1467

      An aquarium is just interactive television for cats.
    • Wright Huntley
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 2000
        d0nxd0n@... wrote:

        > Hmmm... that's interesting Wright. You state that "Please give any store
        > carrying painted fish (dye injected) a *much* worse rating than this. Like
        > "zero" would fit the choice of many of us here on this list." So why didn't
        > you give Aqua City a rating of zero but instead a 2.5 even though they carry
        > painted fish? Giving a rating of 0 to any LFS that carries painted fish will
        > also impact the rating that I gave Superway Aquarium (didn't you like this
        > LFS?) which carries painted fish. I agree though that my rating of 4.5 was
        > high for Aqua City.

        As Emerson said, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of petty minds."
        ;-)

        I saw only a couple of kissing gouramis that had been dyed, quite a long
        time ago, and could easily have been rescues or some other rational cause. I
        also had not been deliberately deceived by this store, as I have been by
        others. I guess I reserved the really bottom ranks for the latter.

        I didn't want any of the fish, mostly because the fresh-water tanks were
        pretty scummy looking. The salt tanks were, by contrast, clean and bright.
        The one catfish I did consider was pretty overpriced, IMHO.

        I would have preferred the Bettas to be in 4" ivy jars, as they are in
        Superway and some others. OTOH, Justin uses parts bins and any kind of small
        container for Bettas at Ocean Aquarium, but I feel the water, there, is
        changed and the fish are healthy when I have been in there.

        Wright