Re: [CBS] Spawns and Fry

  • Eryn Rosenbaum
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
      Aww I miss you too, guys!!! :'-)
      Glad you'll still have fish without me. At some point I'll breed again and we can exchange boxes... but for now, I'm just lurking on the list and enjoying all the spawns vicariously through all your wonderful pictures. In the wee hours of the morning. While nursing my newborn. Keeps me awake! :)
      Eryn

      On Mar 1, 2011, at 12:50 AM, "alatri" <alatri@...> wrote:

      But we *liked* having Eryn! ;p It wasn't just for the fish. ^^ {{Eyrn, we miiiiiisssss you!}}

      --- In CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy Waugh" <jeremy.n.waugh@...> wrote:

      > Yay! Who says we need Eryn to have fish? LOL
      >
      > I'm getting a couple more fish off aquabid for Jennifer's March 14th
      > shipment if anyone wants to get in on it to save shipping.
      >
      > Jeremy W
      >
      > Subject: [CBS] Spawns and Fry
      >

      > Pics not nearly as nice as Jeremy's and Christine's because I've only got
      > the iPhone, but hey, it's something. ;D
      >
      > This is a vid of the fry at 4 days free-swimming. Not quite in focus
      > because, um, iPhone. I didn't get any pics of the parents spawning because
      > the male built his nest at the far end of the tank. Small spawn, about 30 of
      > them altogether.
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My6CBWINULM
      >
      > This was another spawn, the eggs of which were unfortunately not viable
      > because of heater fluxuations. The parents sure were enthusiastic, though!
      > The female was all "I'm HERE! Come on, dang it... I'm right here, come back
      > to the nest, now!" (Yes, it's a weird color pairing - it was going to be
      > experimental, mostly because my yellow female wouldn't put out.)
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql1kDqMSHCs
      > http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5252/5487123528_22cd28e148_z.jpg
      >
      > The male diligently tending his nest. He was so bummed when they weren't
      > viable! I feel bad for him.
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag9BUHBNlxA
      > http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5291/5486528517_5bd91239df_z.jpg
      >
      > After the eggs proved to be unviable, he *doubled* the size of the nest,
      > covering not just the underside of the leaf, but the whole corner of the
      > 10gal tank. He really really wants another chance. ;p
      > http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5059/5487124160_bb10868e26_z.jpg
      >
      > It might take a village to raise a child, but it takes a mad scientist to
      > raise a betta.
      > http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5053/5486541669_cc50f8fb02_z.jpg
      >
      > -- Lari

    • Karen Wolff
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
        We definitely miss you, Eryn!

        I'll be back to the meetings in maybe March but for sure April. At this time of the year, I just have too much going on.

        Karen

        Glad you'll still have fish without me. At some point I'll breed again and we can exchange boxes... but for now, I'm just lurking on the list and enjoying all the spawns vicariously through all your wonderful pictures. In the wee hours of the morning. While nursing my newborn. Keeps me awake! :)
        Eryn

        On Mar 1, 2011, at 12:50 AM, "alatri" <alatri@...> wrote:

        But we *liked* having Eryn! ;p It wasn't just for the fish. ^^ {{Eyrn, we miiiiiisssss you!}}

        --- In CaliforniaBettas@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy Waugh" <jeremy.n.waugh@...> wrote:

        > Yay! Who says we need Eryn to have fish? LOL
        >
        > I'm getting a couple more fish off aquabid for Jennifer's March 14th
        > shipment if anyone wants to get in on it to save shipping.
        >
        > Jeremy W
        >
        > Subject: [CBS] Spawns and Fry
        >

        > Pics not nearly as nice as Jeremy's and Christine's because I've only got
        > the iPhone, but hey, it's something. ;D
        >
        > This is a vid of the fry at 4 days free-swimming. Not quite in focus
        > because, um, iPhone. I didn't get any pics of the parents spawning because
        > the male built his nest at the far end of the tank. Small spawn, about 30 of
        > them altogether.
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My6CBWINULM
        >
        > This was another spawn, the eggs of which were unfortunately not viable
        > because of heater fluxuations. The parents sure were enthusiastic, though!
        > The female was all "I'm HERE! Come on, dang it... I'm right here, come back
        > to the nest, now!" (Yes, it's a weird color pairing - it was going to be
        > experimental, mostly because my yellow female wouldn't put out.)
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql1kDqMSHCs
        > http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5252/5487123528_22cd28e148_z.jpg
        >
        > The male diligently tending his nest. He was so bummed when they weren't
        > viable! I feel bad for him.
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag9BUHBNlxA
        > http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5291/5486528517_5bd91239df_z.jpg
        >
        > After the eggs proved to be unviable, he *doubled* the size of the nest,
        > covering not just the underside of the leaf, but the whole corner of the
        > 10gal tank. He really really wants another chance. ;p
        > http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5059/5487124160_bb10868e26_z.jpg
        >
        > It might take a village to raise a child, but it takes a mad scientist to
        > raise a betta.
        > http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5053/5486541669_cc50f8fb02_z.jpg
        >
        > -- Lari

      • AJ Fish
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
          Eryn,

          Hi Mommy, I'm sorry to burst your bubble but there won't be boxes to exchange for a while. I had all these dreams of breeding while being a new dad? Well let me tell you, I spawned the Super Red HMPK before Thanksgiving, with intentions to have more spawns before the show. After work, washing and sterilizing bottles, bathing Kay, story time and finally she foes to sleep then I run down to fish room to frantically feed fish and strip and brooding females that's still breeding then run up to dive into bed so I can get a few hours before late night diaper change, finally sleep for a few more and I head to work! Then it starts over again. What I need to do is to be realistic and find new homes for my Bettas and  Just feed my fish and keep them happy! Sorry to burst your bubble, but just being a daddy and you being the Mom, I am being honest! Just take care of your new fry! Way more rewarding!!! Congrats again!

          AJ

          Sent from my iPhone