Re: [CBS] can a male betta be put in with a female betta?

  • June Delane
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 30 6:21 PM

      On Jul 30, 2010, at 2:40 PM, Wang Meng Moua wrote:

      A male betta can be keep with few females betta in a community tank as long as there is enough space for them to flare around. Get some live plants or plastic plants and some decorations flower pots for the females to hide. Try it and you will see if it work for you or not.

      I would submit that this is reasonable advice for a more experienced betta keeper, but for a novice (and I'm just guessing, but I suspect the original poster is fairly new at bettas) it can be problematic, or even dangerous (for the fish, of course...).  I have kept a male with females, but this was in a 40g tank, and there were plenty of dither fish to keep tempers down.  And this was after about 20 years of fish keeping, so I felt I had some experience to work with.  I still agree with the original advice- better not to keep males with females, unless you have plenty of experience *and* alternative lodgings if you end up with a problem (and by that, I mean good sized and heated accommodations, not a tiny cup or a vase).

      TTFN,
      June

    • Linda P. Adams
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2010
        Hi, this may be silly to post here, but, I got to go to LA last week and listen to a book lecture given by Brian May & got to meet him after at his booksigning!
        TOTALLY WICKED COOL.

        If you're not sure right off the bat, Brian is the guitarist of Queen (We Will Rock You, Somebody to Love, Tie Your Mother Down etc) but also has a PhD in astrophysics and writes about/collects stereo (3-D) photography.

        Anyway I blogged about it:

        ....if anyone cares about this non-fish thing. :)
        He's also a serious animal rights activist which I also like.

        Linda Adams

      • Britt E. Coffman
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 5, 2010

          TOTALLY JEALOUS!!!!! J