Coastal Mendocino Spot-winged Glider

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2003
      After watching 'flocks' of Spot-winged Gliders over in the Sacramento
      Valley, we returned to the Little River Headlands just south of
      Mendocino on the coast. There were numbers of dragonflies hunting in the
      front yard and around the nearby Spring Ranch (State Park property just
      north of Van Damme Beach State Park). I was sure that the majority of
      them were Spot-winged Gliders and I was able to net one of them. Since
      the latest county list sent out by Kathy does not list this species from
      Mendocino, I saved the netted individual. I'll send a photo off to Tim
      Manolis later.

      I also saw a Black Saddlebags in the flock. Interestingly enough, I
      couldn't see a dragonfly anywhere about 45 minutes after I netted the
      one. Timing is everything.

      Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist

      ron@...

      707/839-0900