Mariposa County 06-22-13

  • Matthew Dodder
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2013
      Cricket and I had an incredible day of Dragon hunting in Yosemite today. Along South Fork Merced River in Wawona we found very little, only a single FLAME SKIMMER, and one BISON SNAKETAIL (but that was a lifer!).

      Heading toward Glacier Point, things began to pick up considerably. We parked along the road to investigate a sunny, damp meadow under restoration (shortly before the (Bridal Veil Creek Campground). We found the area filled with HUNDREDS of HUDSONIAN WHITEFACES (lifer), and a very small number of CRIMSON-RINGED WHITEFACES (lifer). Also present were COMMON WHITE TAIL, hundreds upon hundreds of FOUR-SPOTTED SKIMMERS (lifer), about about 6 MOUNTAIN EMERALDS (lifer). There were also many hundreds of BLUETS (Northern/Boreal?), and one RED Damselfly which we tentatively ID'd as WESTERN RED DAMSEL (lifer).

      Just outside of the south entrance to the Park, there is a small pond across the street from a bait shot. We found VARIEGATED MEADOWHAWK, TWELVE-SPOTTED SKIMMER (liver, several males) and COMMON WHITETAIL. More Bluets...

      Bison Snaketail (lifer)
      Flame Skimmer
      Four-spotted Skimmer (lifer)
      Twelve-spotted Skimmer (lifer)
      Common Whitetail
      Variegated Meadowhawk
      Hudsonian Whiteface (lifer)
      Crimson-ringed Whiteface (lifer)
      Mountain Emerald (lifer)

      Northern/Boreal Bluet
      Western Red Damsel (lifer)

    • Kathy & Dave Biggs
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 23, 2013
        What a wonderful day!
        Your Crimson-winged Whitefaces bring us up to 75 species reported as on the wing.
        Would you check your locations and let me know if they were all in Mariposa County - Yosemite has more than one county, just want to make sure.....
        THANKS!!
        Kathy

        California Dragonflies www.sonic.net/dragonfly
        Southwest Dragonflies www.southwestdragonflies.net/
        Bigsnest Wildlife Pond www.bigsnestpond.net/
        Kathy and Dave Biggs bigsnest@... 707-823-2911
        308 Bloomfield Rd. Sebastopol, CA 95472
        On 6/22/2013 11:28 PM, Matthew Dodder wrote:
[...]

        .  .  .

        Matthew Dodder