Fwd: [Odonata-l] Looking for Enallagma hybrids or sites with potentially hybridizing species

  • Kathy & Dave Biggs
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 157 Bytes
    FYI

    -------- Original Message --------
    Subject:[Odonata-l] Looking for Enallagma hybrids or sites with potentially hybridizing species
    Date:Tue, 18 Sep 2012 12:27:13 -0500
    From:Alexandra Barnard <barnard.alex1@...>
    To:<odonata-l@...>

    I am a graduate student at the University of Oklahoma, studying speciation and reproductive isolation in Enallagma damselflies.  I am looking for potentially hybridizing species in the United States.  I have read about male specimens with clasper morphology intermediate between two species, suggesting the possibility of hybrids, especially between E. carunculatum and E. anna, E. civile and E. anna, and E. civile and E. carunculatum.

    I am interested in investigating reproductive isolation between these three species and am looking for sites in the contiguous US (or possibly Canada)
    where at least two of them occur.  I welcome any recommendations of sites where two of these species are accessible and abundant in the summer, as well as accounts of any putative hybrids or interspecific tandems you may have found between these or other species.

    Alex Barnard
    PhD student
    Fincke Lab
    Ecology and Evolutionary Biology