Dragonfly calendar

  • Celeste Mazzacano
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2012

    Hello all—

    I apologize for cross-posting, but I wanted to let you know that the Xerces Society, in conjunction with the Migratory Dragonfly Partnership, is creating a Dragonfly 2013 calendar, and we are soliciting your input for photographs of specimens from North and Central America.  Those of you who were at the recent DSA meeting know that the Migratory Dragonfly Partnership has launched several new programs in the past few months, including Dragonfly Pond Watch and the Stable Isotope Project.  Part of the goal of MDP and Xerces is to use the phenomenon of dragonfly migration to educate the public about the importance of odonates and the vulnerability of their habitats, and to give people more information and a better appreciation of these beautiful insects.

    To that end, we have developed a set of different themes for the months of the year to draw attention to the many fascinating and fabulous aspects of odonate life ecology and behavior, including: Endangered Species; Vulnerable/threatened habitats; Migration; Life cycle; Ecosystem roles & services; and Cultural/aesthetic importance.  The attached document gives more details about the different species of interest that may fall under these designated themes.

    If you would like to submit photographs for potential inclusion in this calendar, photo specifications and transmission guidelines are also included in the attached document.  Note that the photographer will retain copyright of the image.  Photo credits will be given for each photo, and can include URLs for contributors’ web sites if desired.  Anyone whose photograph(s) are included will also receive up to 3 free copies of the calendar.  We would like to receive all photos no later than June 15, but earlier submission is of course welcomed.

    If you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly or to e-mail dragonfly@....  We hope you will help us to create a memorable calendar for 2013!

    Thanks—

    Celeste

    Celeste A. Mazzacano, Ph. D.

    Staff Scientist / Aquatic Program Director

    Project Coordinator, Migratory Dragonfly Partnership

    The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation

    1971 – 2011: Forty Years of Conservation!

    628 NE Broadway, suite 200, Portland, OR 97232, USA

    celeste@...

    Cell: (503) 490-0389

    Tel: (503) 232-6639 x105

    Toll free: 1-855-232-6639 x105
    www.xerces.org

    Find more information on at-risk aquatic invertebrates at www.xerces.org/aquatic-invertebrates/

    The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation is an international nonprofit organization that protects wildlife through the conservation of invertebrates and their habitat.