Santa Clara County odes

  • Steve Rottenborn
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15 9:22 PM

      My daughter Holly and I visited the following two spots in Santa Clara County this afternoon (15 April) looking for some first-of season odes:

      Ogier Ponds, along Coyote Creek north of Morgan Hill (12:15-13:00, 63 degrees F, clear, sunny, light breeze):

      Pacific Forktail - 4
      Familiar Bluet - 1 (plus 3 unidentified bluets)
      Exclamation Damsel - 4
      Vivid Dancer - 1
      California Darner - 1
      Beaverpond Baskettail - 1 (the Ogier Ponds are the only known location for the species in Santa Clara County and may be the southernmost known location anywhere in the West)

      Monte Bello Open Space Preserve, west of Palo Alto (14:15-15:00, same conditions as above):

      Swift Forktail – 4 in sag pond along Canyon Trail, ΒΌ-mile south of Page Mill Road (a known location for this species)

      Steve Rottenborn
      Morgan Hill , CA