Odes in Yuba/Butte counties -- 5 November 2002

  • ylightfoot@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2002
      Hi folks:

      I guess it is still not too late to find some interesting odonates in
      Northern California, although it may soon well be, with a storm expected off
      the North Pacific in a day or two, possibly indicating the opening of the
      winter "storm door."

      Today, however, was so nice and warm and sunny, that after seeing good
      numbers of Variegated Meadowhawks (Sympetrum corruptum), including many
      tandem pairs, and darners (most if not all Blue-eyed [Aeshna multicolor] but
      also some possible Common Greens [Anax junius])while birding the flooded rice
      country of Yuba County northeast of Marysville (thousands of Tundra Swans,
      Greater White-fronted Geese, and White-faced Ibis were out there, among other
      things), that I decided to drive a few extra miles to where Los Verjeles Road
      crosses South Honcut Creek, the county line between Butte and Yuba counties
      at that point. This is a good spot for California Spreadwing (Archilestes
      californica) and I have harbored hopes of finding Great Spreadwing
      (Archilestes grandis) there as well, which is known from elsewhere in Yuba
      County but had not been found in Butte -- until today! I saw 1-2 male Great
      Spreadwings along the creek and finally netted one for a Butte County voucher
      specimen. Also saw a handful of male American Rubyspots (Hetaerina
      americana), 1-2 patrolling male Walker's Darners (Aeshna walkeri), and 5-6
      California Spreadwings, including 2 tandem pairs, along the creek. Throw in
      a couple of poor looks at forktails (Ischnura) in rice country roadside
      ditches (possibly one of each of Pacific [I. cervula] and Black-fronted [I.
      denticollis]) and you have a fairly nice variety of species for the first
      week of November.

      Cheers,

      Tim Manolis
    • Kathy and Dave Biggs
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2002
        Hi all,

        Sounds good Tim! Maybe that'll be the last 'nice' report of the year.
        Still seeing Variegateds and an Aeshna I assume is a Shadow Darner here.
        Went to Bodega Bay and looked for the 'Western' Meadowhawk with Kit
        Crump, the biologist at Chanslor Ranch. We saw 2 meadowhawks. The one we
        got in hand was a Variegated and the other was elusive. Kit says that
        the Variegated didn't match the one they saw, but I guess it'll just
        have to remain as speculation as to the species. Kit and Dave saw one
        lone damsel, probably a Bluet.
        Congrats on the county record - and here I'd just told Dennis Paulson
        and Nick Donnelley that they probably wouldn't be getting anymore CA new
        records this fall. Nice to be wrong!!

        Hoping for a lot of rain so we'll have enuf water next spring to support
        a healthy new bunch of fliers.

        Kathy

        Biggs Family Nesting Site http://www.sonic.net/~bigsnest
        Kathy and Dave Biggs bigsnest@... 707-823-2911