River Jewelwing

  • Leslie Flint
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26 9:54 PM
      Hello all,

      I am a newbie when it comes to odes, but I am learning quickly. Today, I was in Colusa County and stopped at the Hwy 16 bridge where I saw Giant Darner, a first for me. Continuing along Hwy 16, I stopped at one of the Cache Creek pullouts to look at what might be on the river. There were lots of American Rubyspots and Emma's Dancers. I was trying to get some photos and was sitting right on the edge of the water. A damsel landed close to me and I looked at it with binoculars. It looked in shape just like the Rubyspot but had an emerald green head and body - stunning. I believe it was a River Jewelwing and unfortunately it flew before I could take a picture. Since Tim Manolis' book has it occurring farther north, I thought I should mention it.

      Leslie Flint
      San Mateo