Re-survey 1914 sites

  • Joan Ball
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2011
    Dear CalOdes-

    I am a Ph.D. student at UC Berkeley, working on research concerning the effects of land use and climate change on California odonate diversity and distribution over time.  I am writing to let you know about my research, and to ask for your assistance if you're interested.   Actually, each of you have helped already… I am using some of your odonate sightings in my analysis.  Thank you!

    As some of you know, Clarence H. Kennedy surveyed dragonflies throughout Central California in 1914, and published his results in the Proceedings of the United States National Museum (1917).  This summer, I am re-surveying many of his original sites (or comparable sites nearby), and sites that Rosser Garrison or Dennis Paulson surveyed in the early 1970’s.  My goal is to compare species richness and composition, then and now.  I am also comparing environmental conditions at these sites using site descriptions and aerial photographs of the area; this is to determine possible relationships between land use change and species richness.

    Of course, multiple visits are necessary to get a more accurate representation of species diversity at a site.  So, it would be great if some of you could survey some these sites as well-- especially any that might be conveniently located near you.  I am attaching a map and a list of locations.

    Please let me know if you can help!  I will arrange access to the site, and send you information from the original survey.
    Also- please contact me if you would like to know more about my research, or if you have any suggestions.

    I hope to hear from you, and thanks again!

    Joanie

    Joan E. Ball | PhD Candidate
    Department of Environmental Science, Policy & Management
    University of California, Berkeley
    415.235.1739 | jball@...