Stylurus olivaceus emergence -- American River -- 3 August 2010

  • ylightfoot@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2010
    Hi folks:

    Having found Olive Clubtail exuviae along the American River last Friday, I decided to check out another spot along the river, where I have often seen them emerging, today around 11 a.m.  Sure enough, they were coming out.  Attached are images that show most of the sequence (just emerged individual with wings folded, its exuvia barely visible below it; teneral individual in star thistle, just after its maiden flight; an exuvia left on the shoreline).  I actually saw a nymph swim up to the shoreline in preparation for emergence, but it snuggled into a secluded spot where I couldn't get a decent camera angle.  Fun to watch.  In a week or two nice adults should be flying around.

    Cheers,

    Tim