Darners and Gliders

  • Lori Arthur
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2010
      Hi everybody. It's been a big week of Blue-eyed Darners for me, but I've been
      frustrated by the near-lack of other aeshnids in most areas. Especially
      surprising was the nearly unbroken swarms of Blue-eyed at Redwood Park,
      relatively high in the Oakland Hills with perfect habitat for Aeshna darners. Is
      there any particular place in the East Bay area where Shadow/Paddle-tailed can
      be found?

      At Redwood Park, Oakland on Wednesday:
      - Blue-eyed Darner - probably hundreds; huge swarms in open areas.
      - Walker's Darner - 1. (bigger than a Blue-eyed with all-black stigmas and
      whitish thoracic stripes; I couldn't catch it).
      - Common Green-darner - 3.
      - Spot-winged Glider - 1.
      - Black Saddlebags - 1.

      At Brookdale Park, Oakland on Thursday:
      - Blue-eyed Darner - 3.
      - Aeshna sp. - 1. (long, slender darner with green markings on thorax and blue
      on abdomen; I couldn't catch it).
      - Spot-winged Glider - many dozen in a huge swarm that covered the entire
      ball-field.
      - Wandering Glider - about 3 (mixed in with the Spot-winged swarm).

      at a private ranch near Livermore on Saturday:
      - Blue-eyed Darner(?) - 1. (a very small and slender andromorph female with
      purple-tinted eyes. Are there any other species this could be?)
      - Common Green-darner - 1.
      - Variegated Meadowhawk - 3.
      - Spot-winged Glider - 20+.

      -- Noah Arthur, Oakland, CA
    • Kathy &/or Dave Biggs
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2010
        Hi Noah and all,

        So you're seeing all these Gliders too!
        With no storm for them to be following, I wonder what is going on?

        Was your
        "Walker's Darner - 1. (bigger than a Blue-eyed with all-black stigmas and
        whitish thoracic stripes; I couldn't catch it)."
        on moving water, such as a creek? If so, the ID is probably right on.

        You also asked:

        Blue-eyed Darner(?) - 1. (a very small and slender andromorph female with purple-tinted eyes. Are there any other species this could be?)

        California Darner would be the other possibility...not sure that the eye color is a usable mark in flight. And we all know how difficult it is to catch darners.

        Thanks for your report(s)!!
        Kathy Biggs
        --
        California Dragonflies	       http://www.sonic.net/dragonfly

[...]