Southern CA deserts

  • Kathy &/or Dave Biggs
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8 11:27 AM
       Hi all!

      Dave and I just returned from a wonderful 10 days in the southeastern CA deserts. The wind was fierce everywhere, and the temps lower than ideal for Odes, but we still managed to see some
      ....and the lizards were FANTASTIC!
      The only Ode of 'note' was a Desert Whitetail female who was just emerging. She'd spread her wings and then been blown over, perhaps into the water. Whatever, she was still 'green' colored
      and it took looking at the photos we took later on up large on the computer screen to verify that she was indeed a Desert Whitetail - the zigzag dark marks on her wings were just a very faint shadow.
      We 'unglued' her wings and sat her on a white rock in a semi-protected area and thus felt she had at least a 10% chance of making it. We had thought that she was a new early flight date,
      but it turned out that the spreadsheet I had with me was out of date!
      We looked for this species also at Hot Tub where we'd seen so many on the Owens Valley Blitz several years ago, but none were there.
      With the Whitetail and Gary's Red-veined and Desert Firetail, we are up to 45 species reported.

      If any of you are on Facebook, we're posting some lovely lizard pix there....wildflowers were nice too!

      Our report(s):

      May 5, 2010

      Mono County

      Kathy & Dave Biggs, Ron & Barbara Oriti

      Chalfant, Hwy 6 - ~7,000 ft., cool & windy

      Fish Slough – Pupfish pond/Biological Study Area
      Paiute Dancer - many
      Familiar Bluet - several
      Black-fronted Forktail - many
      Darner sp.  2
      Flame Skimmer - several
      Four-spotted Skimmer - many
      Variegated Meadowhawk - pairs and singles, at water and in the surrounding area
      Fish Slough – “pond 4” – Northeast Springs
      Paiute Dancer - many
      Vivid Dancer - many
      Mosaic Darner sp.  2
      Flame Skimmer – a few
      **Desert Whitetail – one very teneral female, injured, photographed [new early date by 10 days]
      Fish Slough – “pond 3” – BLM Springs
      Paiute Dancer – many
      Familiar Bluet - several
      Black-fronted Forktail – many
      Pacific Forktail - many
      Vivid Dancer - many
      Common Green Darner sp.  2
      Flame Skimmer – a few
      Layton Springs – east side of Crowley Lake
      Desert Firetail – one female (freezing weather at this point)

      May 3, 2010

      Inyo County

      Kathy & Dave Biggs

      Death Valley, Titus Canyon, Scotty’s Castle, Darwin Falls, warm and breezy

      Vivid Dancer many at each site

      Flame Skimmer one at Titus Canyon many at Darwin Falls

      April 30, 2010

      Riverside County

      Kathy & Dave Biggs

      Indian Canyon, Palm Springs 11-3, warm and breezy

      CA/Aztec Dancer many

      No/Bo Bluet a few

      Vivid Dancer many

      Giant Darner one male

      Flame Skimmer abundant

      Red Rock Skimmer a few

      April 29, 2010

      San Bernardino County

      Kathy & Dave Biggs

      Joshua Tree NP below Barker Dam. Cold, windy weather.

      Red Saddlebags 1 male

      Variegated Meadowhawk 2

      April 28, 2010

      San Bernardino County

      Kathy & Dave Biggs

      49 Palms Oasis, 29 Palms 11-3, cool and breezy

      Vivid Dancer some, pairs, ovipositing

      C. Green Darner

      California &/or Blue-eyed Darners

      --