Colusa County

  • Kathy &/or Dave Biggs
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 4, 2008
      Dave and I stopped by Bear Creek @ Hiway 20 for 20 mins. on our way thru
      the area on Tuesday. (90F).
      We viewed the creek only from the (yuk!) Star Thistle alongside the dirt
      road. Construction on the new bridge is taking up about 1/4 of the area
      between Hiway 20 and the 'no trespassing' sign (nearest to the bridge)
      but the rest of the area is still available....
      We saw NO Giant Darners, so I assume they are over with there for the year.
      We did see many Blue-eyed and Common Green Darners. This is the same as
      previous years: when the Giants are out, the Blue-eyeds and Greenies
      aren't. But as soon as the Giants are gone, the other darners come out!
      We also saw some Variegated Meadowhawks & Flame Skimmers and a few
      smaller skimmers at a distance, but no damsels up in the Star thistle at
      least.
      Cheers!!
      Kathy

      Kathy and Dave Biggs bigsnest@... 707-823-2911
      308 Bloomfield Rd. Sebastopol, CA 95472
    • Kathy &/or Dave Biggs
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 20, 2009
        Bear Creek @ Hiway 20. 96F
        Vivid Dancer - Dave saw 2
        NO/Bo Bluet - dozens
        Nothing else yet.

        Did see some good stuff with Ray last week in Shasta County, including
        some Eight-spotted Skimmers, but haven't checked to see what he's
        reported yet...

        Message 3 of 11 , May 13 8:32 PM
          Dave and I stopped by Bear Creek on our way home from Siskiyou County.
          Not much happening there. We spent about 20 mins. there, from 5-5:20,
          and I climbed down to the water, while Dave stayed up on the road.
          Mild weather, maybe 70F and light, thin clouds overhead.
          American Rubyspot - a few, both males and females seen, some teneral
          CA/AZ Dancer - 1 very teneral on maiden flight
          No/Bo Bluet- ~ a dozen
          Tule/Arroyo Bluet - 1 pair in tandem wheel
          Pacific Forktail - 1 m
          Bison Snaketail - 1 seen well
          Clubtail sp. - 3-4, possibly all Bisons, none seen well
          Common Green Darner - 1-2
          Calif. Darner - 3-4
          (no Gaint Darners)
          Pale-faced Clubskimmer - 1 possibly this species, seen poorly
          (no Flame Skimmers!!)

          Kathy and Dave Biggs bigsnest@... 707-823-2911
          308 Bloomfield Rd. Sebastopol, CA 95472

          dba Azalea Creek Publishing azalea@... fax:707-823-2911
        • Kathy & Dave Biggs
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 12, 2011
            June 11,2011
            _Colusa County_
            Dave and I Kathy Biggs
            Bear Creek @ Hiway 20 for ~ a half hour; sunny and calm, 77F
            American Rubyspot - 1 m
            Sooty Dancer Argia lugins- 1 tandem pair + 1m
            CA/Aztec Dancer - many
            No/Bo Bluet - many
            White-belted Ringtail - 1, perhaps this species
            Pacific Clubtail - 1m
            CA Darner - a few
            Blue-eyed Darner - ~3
            Giant Darner - NONE YET
            Western River Cruiser Macromia magnifica - 1-3 m, all very active and flying fast
            Flame Skimmer - abundant
            Common Whitetail - 1m

          • Kathy &/or Dave Biggs
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 16, 2011
              Stopped again at Bear Creek at Hwy 20 for just 10 mins. on our return home.
              Still no Giants, but we did add 2 more species:
              White-belted Ringtail 1-2 males (confirmed suspected sighting of this
              species last week)
              Black Saddlebags - 1

              Our Siskiyou Co. pond had its first Odes of the year yesterday:
              2 male 12-spots

              Kathy & Dave Biggs wrote:

              > June 11,2011
              > _Colusa County_
              > Dave and I Kathy Biggs
              > Bear Creek @ Hiway 20 for ~ a half hour; sunny and calm, 77F
              > American Rubyspot - 1 m
              > Sooty Dancer Argia lugins- 1 tandem pair + 1m
              > CA/Aztec Dancer - many
              > No/Bo Bluet - many
              > White-belted Ringtail - 1, perhaps this species
              > Pacific Clubtail - 1m
              > CA Darner - a few
              > Blue-eyed Darner - ~3
              > Giant Darner - NONE YET
              > Western River Cruiser Macromia magnifica - 1-3 m, all very active and
              > flying fast
              > Flame Skimmer - abundant
              > Common Whitetail - 1m

            • Kathy & Dave Biggs
              Message 6 of 11 , May 6 9:51 PM
                On our way to our McCloud home on Sunday, we stopped by Bear Creek @
                Highway 20 for about 45 minutes. Like everywhere else, things seem
                slower than usual for the time of year:
                It was about 75F with a slight breeze. 12:45-1:30. We mainly walked
                under the bridge and slightly to the south.
                (no Rubyspots)
                (no spreadwings)
                Dancer sp. - a few
                No/Bo Bluet - MANY
                Western Forktail - many females seen, no males
                California Darner - 6-12 males
                Blue-eyed Darner -perhaps one male of this species
                Pacific Clubtail - 4-8 males
                Bison Snaketail - 1 male
                Flame Skimmer - 1 male (ONLY!!)
                Cardinal Meadowhawk - 1male

                Cheers!!
                Kathy & Dave Biggs
                --

                California Dragonflies www.sonic.net/dragonfly
                Southwest Dragonflies www.southwestdragonflies.net/
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 3, 2012
                  Dave and I stopped by at Bear Ck @ Hwy 20 on the 3rd on our way further
                  north.
                  Our report:
                  1:20-1:55, 86-88F, no wind or overcast
                  We spent most of our time in area just to the south and north of the
                  bridge over Hwy 20 with just 5 mins. up Bear Valley Rd, ~1/4 mile
                  American Rubyspot - a few males and a female seen
                  No/Bo Bluets - plentiful
                  (Arroyo Bluet - perhaps one this species)
                  Pacific Forktail - 1 imm. female
                  Western Forktail - 1 mature female
                  Common Green Darner - 5-6 males
                  Giant Darner - 1 male seen by Dave
                  Blue-eyed Darner - 1 perhaps this species seen by Kathy
                  *White-belted Ringtail Erpetogomphus compositus, 1 female seen well
                  (perched) in foliage, ~6 males flying seen by Dave
                  Pacific Clubtail - 1 (older?) female seen well, perched in foliage, she
                  was very dusty olive green and at first I'd hoped she was an Olive
                  Clubtail as there is one old record/specimen of one from before 1998,
                  but, alas, no
                  Western River Cruiser - 6 males
                  Dash/Hawk - 1 or more seen across the creek from the road
                  Flame Skimmer - plentiful now!
                  Common Whitetail - 1 male
                  Black Saddlebags - 2-3 males

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 13 12:29 PM
                    Dave and I stopped at Bear Ck @ Hwy 20 for about 20 mins.yesterday at 1:00. It was 85F.
                    The creek was low and slow, and there wasn't much activity:
                    No/Bo Bluets (many)
                    CA Dancers (few)
                    CA Darners 1-2
                    Blue-eyed Darners 1-2
                    Co. Green Darners - 1-2
                    Flame Skimmers - half dozen

                    Cheers!!
                    Kathy
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 19 10:30 AM
                      Stopped at Bear Creek yesterday. 80F, 4-4:30; very windy
                      No more Cruiser exuvia on the bridge supports (Sandra found one Saturday
                      which I am counting as FOY), BUT, we think we saw 'her' guy cruisin'
                      ...if it was a male's exuvia. Here's what we did see:
                      teneral damselflies - lots and lots taking maiden flights
                      Vivid Dancer - a few
                      Western Forktail - a young orange female seen; a few males seen
                      Western River Cruiser - 1 male
                      Flame Skimmer - quite a few but not real high #s yet
                      note - no darners seen at all!!