Butte, Plumas and Lassen odes

  • JOHN STERLING
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2008

      My 8 year old daughter, Natalia, and I travelled north to look for odes on Tuesday afternoon.   First stop was Cherry Hill Campground near Butte Meadows in the high country in Butte County.  We had great looks at Black Petaltails along the river near the wet, boggy meadow (with rein orchids and lilies).  Because the campground was closed, we proceeded over Humboldt Pass into Plumas County and toward Lake Almanor (Hwy 32 was closed at turnoff to Butte Meadows).   After several miles of driving down the mountain on the east side the pass, we encountered several Black Petaltails on the dirt road in the evening.  The GPS coordinates are N 40 10 21.5/W 121 23 26.7.  There were wet meadows nearby.

      We then proceeded to Lassen County where we camped at Silver Lake and looked around a small pond at the campground and at nearby Cooper Swamp.  Unlike last year in late July when John Luther and I checked it, this time the “swamp” was very wet with large deep pools.  Emerald Spreadwings were abundant.  We saw a few Hudsonian Whitefaces, Dot-tailed Whitefaces, Four-spotted Skimmers, Eight-spotted Skimmers, unidentified emeralds, and a White-faced Meadowhawk.  We searched for Sedge Sprite for an hour or so before my daughter decided that it was breakfast time and that we needed to leave.  We then headed into Susanville, ate breakfast/lunch and checked along the Susan River in town where Great Basin Snaketails, Emma’s Dancers and numerous River Jewelwings were easily seen and photographed.  Our last stop for odes yesterday was Zamboni Hot Springs off of Hwy 395 south of Doyle.  Many Comanche Skimmers, Western Pondhawks and Flame Skimmers put on a show for us.   After looking through the book and picking out her most wanted odes, Natalia is excited about our trip to the Salton Sea where Roseate Skimmers and Mexican Amberwings abound.

      John Sterling

      VVVVVVVVVV

      26 Palm Ave

      Woodland, CA  95695