Cherry Hill, Butte County, etc.

  • Ray Bruun
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2008
      Finally had a chance to visit the bog at Cherry Hill in Butte County.
      Saw lots of Black Petaltail but only found three females, two of them in
      wheel. It seems the females spend most of their time away from the
      bog. Took a couple of other trips also, most notably Ash Creek, south
      of Adin in Modoc County (also a first for me).

      Pictures:
      Cherry Hill - http://bruunphotography.com/Part_1_061808.html
      Ash Creek, etc. - http://bruunphotography.com/Part_2_062108.html

      Mostly Black Petailtail at Cherry Hill. Ash Creek had the following:

      River Jewelwing - about 6 males and females
      American Rubyspot - several
      Vivid Dancer - serveral
      River Bluet - common (mostly lone males, but several pairs in wheel)
      **Emerald Spreadwing - several + many teneral spreadwings that I didn't
      identify
      **Tule Bluet (same pond) - several
      Western Forktail - several females, one male
      Blue-eyed (California?) Darner - several males
      Grappletail - most common dragonfly
      Great Basin Snaketail - two females photographed, saw several more
      snatetails
      Variegated Meadowhawk - one
      Cardinal Meadowhawk - one male + pair in wheel
      **Unknown Meadowhawk, possibly Cardinal - several
      Twelve-spotted Skimmer - several
      Four-spotted Skimmer - many on a small pond by stream

      Ray Bruun
      Shingletown, Shasta County, CA
      bruun@...