Battle Creek - Shasta County

  • Ray Bruun
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2008
      I spent several hours photographing odes along the north side of Battle
      Creek, yesterday. At this location, about eight miles southeast of
      Anderson, Battle Creek forms the boundary between Shasta and Tehama
      Counties. My goal was to find Sinuous Snaketail, which were fortunately
      out in good numbers. I also stopped briefly at Bear Creek, where it
      crosses Highway 44, about 15 miles east of Redding.

      Western Pondhawk - several
      Widow Skimmer - several
      Common Whitetail - several
      Twelve-spotted Skimmer - two or three (these were flybys at altitude and
      could have been Eight-spotted)
      Flame Skimmer - 1 female (Bear Creek at Highway 44)
      Cardinal Meadowhawk - 1 male
      Pacific Clubtail - 1 male
      Grappletail - 1 female
      Sinuous Snaketail - many (most numberous ode)
      American Rubyspot - 1 male
      Emma's Dancer - several at Bear Creek and two at Battle Creek
      Sooty Dancer - many young and teneral at Bear Creek; one or two at
      Battle Creek
      California/Aztec Dancer - caught a glimpse of one or two smaller
      dancers, which were probably one of these
      Vivid Dancer - several
      Tule Bluet - 1 male

      Pix:
      Skimmers & Damselflies - http://bruunphotography.com/Part_1_033108.html