Field trip to Lake & Colusa counties

  • DAVID HOFMANN
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31 5:59 PM
      Hi All,
      Kathy Biggs & I went to Bear Creek today to see what was flying. On the way we detoured to Detert's Reservoir on Butt's Canyon Road out of Middletown (Lake), and then proceeded on to a pond just north of the Napa county line. From this area we went on to Bear Creek where it crosses Hwy 20 in Colusa county. This is the list of what we identified today:
      Pale-faced Club Skimmer-caught specimen
      Western Pondhawk-caught specimen
      Widow Skimmer-many seen
      Flame Skimmer- numerous
      Blue Dasher-quite a few
      Variegated Meadowhawk-just a few
      Eight-spotted Skimmer-quite a few
      Black Saddlebags-numerous
      Western River Cruiser-a couple at Bear Creek
      Aeshna sp.-1 seen at small pond
      Common Green Darner-a couple seen at the pond
      White-belted Ringtail-numerous at Bear Creek (more were on top of the barbed wire fence running along the road than near the water, ie 21)
      Gray Sanddragon-just a few at Bear Creek
      American Rubyspot-a few at Bear Creek
      California Dancer-one caught at Bear Creek
      Sooty Dancer-quite a few
      Vivid Dancer- a few
      Northern Bluet-numerous
      Familiar Bluet-numerous
      Western Forktail-numerous
      Desert Firetail-caught specimen, only two seen

      I'll let Kathy note which ones were county records, I know we had a few.
      Good hunting,
      David A. Hofmann

    • Kathy and Dave Biggs
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
        Hi all and
        Thanks David for posting about our trip,

        One of the purposes of our trip was to fill in some missing species on
        the CA county maps. What I've done to facilitate in this effort in the
        past is that I've printed up all the species maps, 4 maps per page, from
        the website and use them to alert me to when a county is a 'hole' for a
        particular species (way easier to visualize than from the excel chart).
        Using those, I made up a 'hit' list for David and I yesterday, and we
        worked away at it.

        Most amazing was finding out that, although folks had been reporting
        Desert Firetails (Telebasis salva) from Bear Creek for years now, none
        of us had ever realized that the species wasn't recorded at all in
        Colusa Co! So we now have a specimen for Colusa Co.

        Then for Lake County we caught a Western Pondhawk at a small pond on
        Butts Canyon Rd. This pond is just north of where the county line with
        Napa Co. is, and David hadn't realized in prior years that it is
        actually in Lake Co. We're calling this pond Guenoc Pond after a nearby
        winery, but it is unnamed on the LeLorme (p. 84, C2) and other maps that
        show it. However, it is a great pond for dragonflies and also has a
        ephemeral stream nearby that I *might* have seen a Red Rock Skimmer on
        (that would have filled in yet another 'hole'). We did see many Green
        Darners there, but didn't have the time necessary to catch one of these
        fast and wary bugs (guess that is why so many of our counties only have
        'sightings' for this species!). I plan to go back....

        The other Lake Co. species we were able to document was at our very
        first stop. Frustrated by not being able to get down to the dragons on
        Detert Reservoir, we swung at some damsels in the grass. They apparently
        are Familiar Bluets (Enallagma civile) which were another species on our
        hit list. So it was a good day: 3 new county species recorded and 21
        species seen in all.

        I'll be sending a 'draft' copy of the July County records update out
        later today so all of you can make sure the data is recorded correctly
        for any event you took part in. It certainly is wonderful to have so
        many people helping determine CA distribution. THANKS!

        Kathy

        DAVID HOFMANN wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > Kathy Biggs & I went to Bear Creek today to see what was flying. On the way we detoured to Detert's Reservoir on Butt's Canyon Road out of Middletown (Lake), and then proceeded on to a pond just north of the Napa county line. From this area we went on to Bear Creek where it crosses Hwy 20 in Colusa county. This is the list of what we identified today:
        > Pale-faced Club Skimmer-caught specimen
        > Western Pondhawk-caught specimen
        > Widow Skimmer-many seen
        > Flame Skimmer- numerous
        > Blue Dasher-quite a few
        > Variegated Meadowhawk-just a few
        > Eight-spotted Skimmer-quite a few
        > Black Saddlebags-numerous
        > Western River Cruiser-a couple at Bear Creek
        > Aeshna sp.-1 seen at small pond
        > Common Green Darner-a couple seen at the pond
        > White-belted Ringtail-numerous at Bear Creek (more were on top of the barbed wire fence running along the road than near the water, ie 21)
        > Gray Sanddragon-just a few at Bear Creek
        > American Rubyspot-a few at Bear Creek
        > California Dancer-one caught at Bear Creek
        > Sooty Dancer-quite a few
        > Vivid Dancer- a few
        > Northern Bluet-numerous
        > Familiar Bluet-numerous
        > Western Forktail-numerous
        > Desert Firetail-caught specimen, only two seen
        >
        > I'll let Kathy note which ones were county records, I know we had a few.
        > Good hunting,
        > David A. Hofmann

        Biggs Family Nesting Site http://www.sonic.net/~bigsnest
        Kathy and Dave Biggs bigsnest@... 707-823-2911