Monterey/San Benito cos 30 June 2007

  • Don Roberson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2007
      After years of lusting after access to the San Lorenzo River east of
      King City, Rita and I were finally able to arrange permission to
      enter a private ranch on Lone Oak Road yesterday. Here the San
      Lorenzo forms the boundary between Monterey and San Benito counties.
      We worked primarily the MTY side but most species were recorded in
      both counties.

      San Lorenzo River MTY/SBT
      30 June 2007 [1130-1530] warm, sunny, breezy

      American Rubyspot 8
      California Dancer 1000 +
      blue-type bluet (N/Familiar), likely Familiar here 6
      dark-type bluet (Arroyo/Tule), likely Tule by habitat 1 m
      Desert Firetail 30
      Pacific Forktail 1 m
      Black-fronted Forktail 50
      Western Forktail 1 f
      Common Green Darner 2
      Giant Darner 3
      Blue-eyed Darner 2
      Gray Sanddragon 2
      Western Pondhawk 8
      Common Whitetail 1 m
      Flame Skimmer 80
      Cardinal Meadowhawk 2
      Striped Meadowhawk 1 teneral
      Black Saddlebags 20

      There was only one previous record of Gray Sanddragon for MTY, and we
      went specifically hoping for this species. So that success was quite
      gratifying. The Giant Darner were a surprise. Many photos and more
      information is now on my web site at
      http://montereybay.com/creagrus/CA-MTY30Jun07.html

      Don Roberson & Rita Carratello
      Pacific Grove CA