San Diego County

  • Nicole
    Message 1 of 106 , Mar 1, 2006
      I was out at mission trails dam and saw a forktail and a northern
      bluet today. This is my 2nd year at odes, so be patient as i
      occasionally post identification pics. I really want confirmation at
      times. i posted the forktail in the photos section. i have a new canon
      rebel with a tamron 75mm 300mm lens. I would like to buy a macro lens
      as well and would like suggestions on taking pics of odes as well as
      lens information.
      Nicole Ramirez
    • Gary Suttle
      Message 106 of 106 , Jul 29, 2013
        July 29, 2013

        Poway, Rattlesnake Creek, Old Poway Park (shady parking on Aubrey Street), 11:45-1:00, sunny, light breeze, 77 degrees.

        Roseate Skimmer 2 M

        Seldom seen west of the mountains in San Diego County. First sighting at this location in 5 years of observation, located approximately 6 miles west of a previous sighting at Dos Picos Pond in Ramona on 4-29-13. Old Poway Park lies about 15 miles from the coast. One Roseate Skimmer prefers creekside vegetation just north of the white bridge over the creek. The other selects creekside perches just south of the northernmost bridge and prickly lettuce stems on the adjacent steep bank east of the creek. They occasionally chased one another up and down the creek and then returned to their preferred spots.

        Also seen:

        Black-fronted Forktail

        Vivid Dancer

        Cardinal Meadowhawk