Re: [CalOdes] Statewide Meetings

  • ylightfoot@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 21, 2005
      The idea of state or regional DSA meetings (no reason we can't invite
      Oregonians, Nevadans, Arizonans, etc., if such a get-together occurs near a state
      border, or even in one of these bordering states) is a good one that has
      occasionally been discussed before, e.g., at the DSA meeting in California a couple of
      years ago. Just no one has ever picked up the ball and run with it. I have
      been thinking of broaching the idea of emulating the Oregonians "Aeshna
      Blitzes," in which they spend a long weekend scouring a small area that has been
      little explored, sometime between August and October, primarily looking for new
      county or state records or range extensions for various species of darners.
      There are a number of regions in the northern border counties that merit
      exploration of this sort, such as the northern Warner Mountains.

      Of course, informal groups of dragonfly enthusiasts are always free to, and
      occasionally do, stage trips to various areas. I assume you are talking
      something a little more organized, advertised to potentially interested parties,
      etc. I have no idea how "regional DSA" meetings are organized elsewhere, perhaps
      we should explore this. Perhaps you, Ray, could contact the Oregonians and
      get some idea of their organizational structure. In any event, this does seem
      to be an idea worth further exploration, of there is sufficient interest. . .

      Will be interested in the response to your e-mail.

      Cheers,

      Tim
    • skagitjim
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 22, 2005
        Organizational structure in Oregon? Actually, Steve Valley, Eric
        Coombs, and I started the annual Aeshna Blitz in Oregon about five
        years ago very informally for two reasons: 1) to get a group of
        odonatists to spend a weekend in an area of interest (some we've been
        to before, some we haven't) and see what we could find; 2) just for
        the fun and camaradarie. It's a good excuse to get together with
        people that you don't see very often. The choice of location is
        usually up to me or Steve Valley, but we solicit suggestions from
        others too.

        So that's the extent of our organizational structure. We don't
        consitute a chapter of DSA or any other organization. It's just
        something we decided to do.

        This year the Aeshna Blitz will be held at Parsnip Lakes, about 15
        miles east of Ashland, 5-7 July. Anybody is welcome to participate.
        This is one of those areas that none of us has been to, so it'll be
        interesting to see what we find, although I was hoping to make a
        scouting trip down there soon. Most of us will be camping where we can
        find space (no developed campgrounds in the area).

        Jim

        --- In CalOdes@yahoogroups.com, ylightfoot@a... wrote:
        > The idea of state or regional DSA meetings (no reason we can't invite
        > Oregonians, Nevadans, Arizonans, etc., if such a get-together occurs
        near a state
        > border, or even in one of these bordering states) is a good one that
        has
        > occasionally been discussed before, e.g., at the DSA meeting in
        California a couple of
        > years ago. Just no one has ever picked up the ball and run with it.
        I have
        > been thinking of broaching the idea of emulating the Oregonians "Aeshna
        > Blitzes," in which they spend a long weekend scouring a small area
        that has been
        > little explored, sometime between August and October, primarily
        looking for new
        > county or state records or range extensions for various species of
        darners.
        > There are a number of regions in the northern border counties that
        merit
        > exploration of this sort, such as the northern Warner Mountains.
        >
        > Of course, informal groups of dragonfly enthusiasts are always free
        to, and
        > occasionally do, stage trips to various areas. I assume you are
        talking
        > something a little more organized, advertised to potentially
        interested parties,
        > etc. I have no idea how "regional DSA" meetings are organized
        elsewhere, perhaps
        > we should explore this. Perhaps you, Ray, could contact the
        Oregonians and
        > get some idea of their organizational structure. In any event, this
        does seem
        > to be an idea worth further exploration, of there is sufficient
        interest. . .

        > Will be interested in the response to your e-mail.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Tim
      • Kathy &/or Dave Biggs
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 22, 2005
          August 5 - 7 or July 5-7 for Blitz??

        • jt_johnson@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 22, 2005
            Sorry, that should have been 5-7 August, not July, for the Aeshna Blitz. See? I'm already excited about it.

            --
            Jim Johnson
            Vancouver, WA

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 22, 2005
              Thank goodness - both for your excitement, and the date being one I can make! ;-)
              Kathy