Statewide Meetings

  • bruun@frontiernet.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 21, 2005
      Hi all,

      I was wondering if there would be much interest in one or two statewide
      CalOde/DSA meetings each year. The DSA folks back east seem to get
      together for regional meetings and I thought it might be nice for us to
      do the same. I, for one, would love for an excuse to see some of the
      Southern California species and habitats. Please post any response to
      CalOdes so we can all "listen in."

      Ray Bruun
      Shingletown, Shasta County, CA
      bruun@...
    • ylightfoot@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 21, 2005
        The idea of state or regional DSA meetings (no reason we can't invite
        Oregonians, Nevadans, Arizonans, etc., if such a get-together occurs near a state
        border, or even in one of these bordering states) is a good one that has
        occasionally been discussed before, e.g., at the DSA meeting in California a couple of
        years ago. Just no one has ever picked up the ball and run with it. I have
        been thinking of broaching the idea of emulating the Oregonians "Aeshna
        Blitzes," in which they spend a long weekend scouring a small area that has been
        little explored, sometime between August and October, primarily looking for new
        county or state records or range extensions for various species of darners.
        There are a number of regions in the northern border counties that merit
        exploration of this sort, such as the northern Warner Mountains.

        Of course, informal groups of dragonfly enthusiasts are always free to, and
        occasionally do, stage trips to various areas. I assume you are talking
        something a little more organized, advertised to potentially interested parties,
        etc. I have no idea how "regional DSA" meetings are organized elsewhere, perhaps
        we should explore this. Perhaps you, Ray, could contact the Oregonians and
        get some idea of their organizational structure. In any event, this does seem
        to be an idea worth further exploration, of there is sufficient interest. . .

        Will be interested in the response to your e-mail.

        Cheers,

        Tim
      • skagitjim
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 22, 2005
          Organizational structure in Oregon? Actually, Steve Valley, Eric
          Coombs, and I started the annual Aeshna Blitz in Oregon about five
          years ago very informally for two reasons: 1) to get a group of
          odonatists to spend a weekend in an area of interest (some we've been
          to before, some we haven't) and see what we could find; 2) just for
          the fun and camaradarie. It's a good excuse to get together with
          people that you don't see very often. The choice of location is
          usually up to me or Steve Valley, but we solicit suggestions from
          others too.

          So that's the extent of our organizational structure. We don't
          consitute a chapter of DSA or any other organization. It's just
          something we decided to do.

          This year the Aeshna Blitz will be held at Parsnip Lakes, about 15
          miles east of Ashland, 5-7 July. Anybody is welcome to participate.
          This is one of those areas that none of us has been to, so it'll be
          interesting to see what we find, although I was hoping to make a
          scouting trip down there soon. Most of us will be camping where we can
          find space (no developed campgrounds in the area).

          Jim

          --- In CalOdes@yahoogroups.com, ylightfoot@a... wrote:
          > The idea of state or regional DSA meetings (no reason we can't invite
          > Oregonians, Nevadans, Arizonans, etc., if such a get-together occurs
          near a state
          > border, or even in one of these bordering states) is a good one that
          has
          > occasionally been discussed before, e.g., at the DSA meeting in
          California a couple of
          > years ago. Just no one has ever picked up the ball and run with it.
          I have
          > been thinking of broaching the idea of emulating the Oregonians "Aeshna
          > Blitzes," in which they spend a long weekend scouring a small area
          that has been
          > little explored, sometime between August and October, primarily
          looking for new
          > county or state records or range extensions for various species of
          darners.
          > There are a number of regions in the northern border counties that
          merit
          > exploration of this sort, such as the northern Warner Mountains.
          >
          > Of course, informal groups of dragonfly enthusiasts are always free
          to, and
          > occasionally do, stage trips to various areas. I assume you are
          talking
          > something a little more organized, advertised to potentially
          interested parties,
          > etc. I have no idea how "regional DSA" meetings are organized
          elsewhere, perhaps
          > we should explore this. Perhaps you, Ray, could contact the
          Oregonians and
          > get some idea of their organizational structure. In any event, this
          does seem
          > to be an idea worth further exploration, of there is sufficient
          interest. . .

          > Will be interested in the response to your e-mail.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Tim
        • Kathy &/or Dave Biggs
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 22, 2005
            August 5 - 7 or July 5-7 for Blitz??

          • jt_johnson@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 22, 2005
              Sorry, that should have been 5-7 August, not July, for the Aeshna Blitz. See? I'm already excited about it.

              --
              Jim Johnson
              Vancouver, WA

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 22, 2005
                Thank goodness - both for your excitement, and the date being one I can make! ;-)
                Kathy