Bison Snaketail in San Benito County

  • Paul Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
      All,

      I was working in the San Benito River in the
      southeastern part of the county yesterday and saw
      about five bison snaketails in a one-mile stretch.
      Looks like it's a new record for the county, and a bit
      outside Tim Manolis' range map. The stream was fairly
      small and rocky, in an area of serpentene soil. I've
      posted images on the group site.

      Also observed recently at Pinnacles National Monument:
      -grappletail
      -Pacific spiketail
      -common whitetail
      -flame skimmer
      -variegated meadowhawk (teneral)
      -cardinal meadowhawk
      -red saddlebags
      -American ruby-spot

      Paul

      --- Kathy &/or Dave Biggs <bigsnest@...> wrote:

      > The following report brings us to 46 species
      > reported as flying this
      > year:
      >
      > Los Angeles County
      > Karen
      > Sandstone Peak, the highest point in Santa Monica
      > Mountains
      > *Pacific Spiketail Cordulegaster dorsalis - 1
      > I saw it cruising past at Sandstone Peak, the
      > highest point in Santa
      > Monica Mountains at 3100 ft, flying S to N at about
      > 1pm.
      >
      > And yes, dragonfly emergence is considerably slower
      > this year than last;
      > in 2004 we had 61 species flying by this time!
      >
      > Cheers!
      > Kathy
      >

      > --
      > California Dragonflies
      > http://www.sonic.net/dragonfly
      > Southwest Dragonflies
      > http://southwestdragonflies.net/
      > Bigsnest Wildlife Pond
      > http://www.bigsnestpond.net/
      > Biggs Family Nesting Site
      > http://www.sonic.net/~bigsnest

      > Kathy and Dave Biggs bigsnest@...
      > 707-823-2911
      > 308 Bloomfield Rd. Sebastopol, CA
      > 95472

      > dba Azalea Creek Publishing azalea@...
      > fax: 707-634-1416

      __________________________________
      Discover Yahoo!
      http://discover.yahoo.com/
    • Kathy &/or Dave Biggs
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2005
        Hi Paul and all,

        Yes, the Bison Snaketail is a new record for San Benito Co! Great! Thanks
        for posting the photos. Are they the documentation or did you also collect
        a specimen?

        John Abbott has indicated that the Odonata Central website is now back up
        and running. Could you also report the species there and Tim or I will
        'officially' approve it!

        Kathy