Re: [CalOdes] Spreadwing dispersal?

  • Kathy &/or Dave Biggs
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hi Steve and all,

      Although you wouldn't expect to find a spreadwing in such a dry habitat, it
      is true that all dragonflies and damselflies disperse after emerging, not
      returning to water until they become sexually mature. Females in particular
      don't need to be at the water unless they are egg laying and are much more
      frequently seen away from the water than males.

      Often they will disburse to near the waterway where they emerged. But
      sometimes a teneral will just emerge and fly almost straight up, catch the
      wind and sail away. This behavior is probably one of the reasons they are
      so successful.

      Also, your habitat, although dry, probably harbored many other little
      insects. So she may have found a plentiful food source, and a spot where
      she wouldn't be 'hassled' by the males! ;-)

      Tim discusses dispersal on p.14 of his Dragonflies and Damselflies of
      California.

      And speaking of books, I should let you all know that Azalea Creek
      Publishing (Dave and I) is now accepting PayPal and credit card payments
      for both of our Beginner's guides, Tim's book and the children's book
      "Eliza and the Dragonfly":

      Kathy
      Biggs Family Nesting Site http://www.sonic.net/~bigsnest
      Kathy and Dave Biggs bigsnest@... 707-823-2911