Castle Lake, Siskiyou County

  • Raymond Bruun
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2004
      Hi all,

      The family and I were in Mount Shasta (city), yesterday, and decided to
      have lunch at Castle Lake. The day was sunny and breezy and the lake was
      loaded with people. Here's a list of the odes we saw:

      Vivid Dancer - common where trail crosses outlet stream
      Northern/Boreal Bluet - common along lake shore
      Variable Darner - 1 identified as it landed on a bush in front of me (see
      photographs: http://www.shasta.com/bruun/va_drnr/variable_darner.html), a
      number of other Aeshna darners seen
      Grappletail - common where trail crosses outlet stream (see photos:
      http://www.shasta.com/bruun/grppltl/grappletail.html)--The Grappletail
      were very tame. Steven netted one, picked another up by the wing, and
      coaxed a third to crawl onto his finger.
      American Emerald - Common. The 4 or 5 emeralds we identified were American.

      Regards,

      Ray Bruun
      Shingletown, Shasta County, CA
      bruun@...