'70 472 W/TH400 into '70 Malibu?

  • pollorey
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12, 2002
      I was given a '70 S de Ville w/472. What need to be done to shoehorn
      it into a '70 Malibu? Is this an easy swap?
      Are there mounts etc readily available?
      Any help gratefully accepted.

      TIA,

      Phil
    • cody_g_carson
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 12, 2002
        Phil, be sure and visit the MTS message board at
        www.500cid.com/frames.html I feel your question will get quick
        attention there. Most of these posts were at one time on that message
        board and were copied here for archive storage. Your message will be
        seen and answered here by some of the members, but I feel the
        responce will be faster there. Mike Martin has a 70 Chevelle with a
        BB Caddy in it and has been responding well to questions posted about
        that type of application, and has a set of headers for sale that will
        fit.

        > I was given a '70 S de Ville w/472. What need to be done to
        shoehorn it into a '70 Malibu? Is this an easy swap?
        > Are there mounts etc readily available?
        > Any help gratefully accepted.
        >
        > TIA,
        >
        > Phil
      • drrace55
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 12, 2002
          big question was malibu already a Big block car, cause if not...you
          will callaps your front springs and the motor mounts may not fit
          right....and well bracket do not interchange either
        • cody_g_carson
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 13, 2002
            Phil, Although I did not put a BB Caddy into the type of body you
            have, I did put one into a '72 fastback Mustang. Previously the
            Mustang had a 302 and C4 Trans. The car was 2,990 pounds with AC. The
            Caddy motor mounts are much closer to the front of the engine than
            the Ford. We built adapter brackets to position the Caddy mounts
            almost on top of the Ford mounting location, but had to leave it a
            couple of inches forward to prevent having to cut the fire wall. The
            engine was a few inches rearward of the Ford when instalation was
            finished. The TH400 tranny was a long shaft from the '75 Deville that
            the engine came from. I used a Camaro Z28 crossmember bolted to L
            brackets that were welded to the Mustang's frame to hang the trans.
            The drive shaft was only 38" long due to the BIG tranny. When the
            instalation was complete, the Mustang's ride height was 2" taller in
            front and I had to cut a coil out of the springs to get the car to
            ride lower in the front. I thought that the Caddy would have been
            much heavier than the 302 and had been looking for big block springs
            prior to that, but could not find any. I found out later that the Big
            Caddy is only 35 pounds heavier than a small Chevy. It is 85 pounds
            lighter than a big Chevy. If you cut 35 pounds off the Caddy weight
            by installing an aluminum intake, then you are running roughly the
            same weight as the small block that is in the Malibu now, give or
            take the weight differences of the accessories. I did not get to
            drive the Mustang before it was taken apart to have the 12 point roll
            cage put in----still an unfinished project.
            Should you do your swap, you will find that you have the handling and
            gas mileage of a small block car and greater torque than most BB
            Chevys could ever hope to produce.