Re: How strong is a 500?

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 22, 2003
      Tim,

      Like a 400/425/455 Olds, a Caddy has a 2.5" rod journal. It is
      tough to keep the bearings from failing. A big rod journal causes the
      bearing speed to be very high, and the bearings run hot. A hot rod
      Caddy needs lots of side clearance. Imo, .030" is a minimum, and some
      guys run as much as .050" of side clearance on the stock cast, or non
      stock steel rods. I know that seems like a bunch, but it allows more
      oil to pass the bearings and keep them cooler.
      Dave

      Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "timiacobucci"