Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] cad fan here

  • FORREST MCCANLESS
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
      I' ve got lots of Can-Am books - I don't recall it on the entry lists.  I'll check tonight and see if it ever made the entry lists

      Forrest
    • Steven Critchfield
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 16, 2003
        On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 15:57, bill lutzius wrote:
        > Very cool car,thanks for the link.I never seen a
        > cadillac can am car.Did it win any races ?

        I get the impression from the site and some searching that it didn't
        have a Cadillac engine to begin with. From the docs, the guy who built
        it built his first in '67. The one in the pictures is a '70, but the
        bios for the men listed on one of the stickers listing them as drivers
        seem to be in other series than can-am.

        Either way, I was wanting something unique and unlike anything you would
        likely come across in normal course of driving. My only problem is going
        to be the cost of the alluminum to skin it. I checked at my normal steel
        supplier, and he said 4'x8' sections will cost about $90 each. I guess
        it won't be that bad since a fiberglass body would probably run more
        than a grand also. Plus a fiberglass body would probably be semi average
        as anyone could get one.

        > --- Steven Critchfield <yahoo@...> wrote:
        > > On Sun, 2003-12-14 at 23:18, randy ross wrote:
        > > > Hello chris
        > > > In love with 472-500 eng...lookin for good project
        > > car for this eng.
        > > > I was thinkin 48-49 HUDSON commerdor 8...
        > > > I'm still looking, moneys tight, maybe i'll get
        > > lucky...
        > > > randy..
        > >
        > > I have the motor and tranny, and have been looking
        > > for a project car to
        > > build with it. This is the one I'm looking at now
        > > for inspiration. Other
        > > than the cost for all the aluminum sheet, it
        > > shouldn't be too difficult
        > > to get it together.
        > >

        > http://www.californiaclassix.com/archive/70_Tice_c155.html
        > >
        > > It makes it all the more interesting after watching
        > > a show on similar
        > > era Porsche can-am cars last night on Speed. They
        > > mentioned how they
        > > built a transmission with the gears behind the
        > > differential to help get
        > > the weight between the rear tires. Of course they
        > > put the engine fully
        > > in front of the diff to keep it low. I'll still love
        > > to get the Eldorado
        > > 500 into this setup.

        Steven Critchfield <critch@...>
      • FORREST MCCANLESS
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 16, 2003
          Further on the "Can-Am" Cadillac

          No such vehicle, or any such driver, ever qualified for a '66'-74 Can-Am race.  I have all the qualifiers listed.  Much as I like the Eldo transaxle (I'm putting one in the rear of a Volvo wagon now),  the CG is much too high for competitive racing, and the engine is too far back relative to the axle.  Competetive cars have the clutch or torque converter just behind the engine, then a shaft going UNDER the rear axle centerline to the transmission - i.e., the crank is below the axle, and the axle CL divides the engine and transmission in plan view.

          A year or so ago, I spent some time talking with an old guy in Vegas who was nationally advertising a "McLaren M8D" for $50K, when it was actually a manta kit car with a SBC and Corvair transaxle!

          My dream is a perfect 110% scale M8B replica with Caddy / Eldo power (room enough to use as a street car) - I have all the models and posters and books available

          Forrest

          Steven Critchfield <critch@...> wrote:
          On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 15:57, bill lutzius wrote:
          > Very cool car,thanks for the link.I never seen a
          > cadillac can am car.Did it win any races ?

          I get the impression from the site and some searching that it didn't
          have a Cadillac engine to begin with. From the docs, the guy who built
          it built his first in '67. The one in the pictures is a '70, but the
          bios for the men listed on one of the stickers listing them as drivers
          seem to be in other series than can-am.

          Either way, I was wanting something unique and unlike anything you would
          likely come across in normal course of driving. My only problem is going
          to be the cost of the alluminum to skin it. I checked at my normal steel
          supplier, and he said 4'x8' sections will cost about $90 each. I guess
          it won't be that bad since a fiberglass body would probably run more
          than a grand also. Plus a fiberglass body would probably be semi average
          as anyone could get one.

          > --- Steven Critchfield wrote:
          > > On Sun, 2003-12-14 at 23:18, randy ross wrote:
          > > > Hello chris
          > > > In love with 472-500 eng...lookin for good project
          > > car for this eng.
          > > > I was thinkin 48-49 HUDSON commerdor 8...
          > > > I'm still looking, moneys tight, maybe i'll get
          > > lucky...
          > > > randy..
          > >
          > > I have the motor and tranny, and have been looking
          > > for a project car to
          > > build with it. This is the one I'm looking at now
          > > for inspiration. Other
          > > than the cost for all the aluminum sheet, it
          > > shouldn't be too difficult
          > > to get it together.
          > >

          > http://www.californiaclassix.com/archive/70_Tice_c155.html
          > >
          > > It makes it all the more interesting after watching
          > > a show on similar
          > > era Porsche can-am cars last night on Speed. They
          > > mentioned how they
          > > built a transmission with the gears behind the
          > > differential to help get
          > > the weight between the rear tires. Of course they
          > > put the engine fully
          > > in front of the diff to keep it low. I'll still love
          > > to get the Eldorado
          > > 500 into this setup.

          Steven Critchfield

          Yahoo! Autos. Everything you need to know about buying or selling a car. FREE Quotes, 360� Tours, Research,
          Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/kEZsdA/bwnGAA/YiGOAA/lkiolB/TM

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Steven Critchfield
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 16, 2003
            On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 16:37, FORREST MCCANLESS wrote:
            > Further on the "Can-Am" Cadillac
            >
            > No such vehicle, or any such driver, ever qualified for a '66'-74
            > Can-Am race. I have all the qualifiers listed. Much as I like the
            > Eldo transaxle (I'm putting one in the rear of a Volvo wagon now),
            > the CG is much too high for competitive racing, and the engine is too
            > far back relative to the axle. Competetive cars have the clutch or
            > torque converter just behind the engine, then a shaft going UNDER the
            > rear axle centerline to the transmission - i.e., the crank is below
            > the axle, and the axle CL divides the engine and transmission in plan
            > view.
            >
            > A year or so ago, I spent some time talking with an old guy in Vegas
            > who was nationally advertising a "McLaren M8D" for $50K, when it was
            > actually a manta kit car with a SBC and Corvair transaxle!
            >
            > My dream is a perfect 110% scale M8B replica with Caddy / Eldo
            > power (room enough to use as a street car) - I have all the models and
            > posters and books available

            Even with a 10% upgrade in size, that car will look scary as hell with
            the motor still sticking most the way up to the wing. In the picture I
            saw of the M8B, the engine heads should be at or just below the tops of
            the tires. On the Eldo engine I have, the heads are a fair bit above the
            wheel tops.

            BTW, the message below points out something not very good. I was able to
            send my message from an account that isn't registered for this group.
            Weird.

          • Rick Thompson
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 16, 2003
              I guess you guys haven't noticed my can am style car, it is powered with an
              eldorado drivetrain. it is a manta montage and the caddy 500 just fits
              under the trunk lid :) http://mantaproject.com the car is a blast to drive
              and it just freaks people out when I open the trunk and they see that huge
              engine stuck in the back of it....

              Rick Thompson,
              http://mantaproject.com

            • Brian Latta
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 16, 2003
                Rick,
                Very nice page for your project. I enjoyed
                perusing your development, thanks,
                -Brian
                --- Rick Thompson <odin2@...> wrote:
                > I guess you guys haven't noticed my can am style
                > car, it is powered with an
                > eldorado drivetrain. it is a manta montage and the
                > caddy 500 just fits
                > under the trunk lid :) http://mantaproject.com the
                > car is a blast to drive
                > and it just freaks people out when I open the trunk
                > and they see that huge
                > engine stuck in the back of it....
                >
                > Rick Thompson,
                > http://mantaproject.com

                http://photos.yahoo.com/
              • Steven Critchfield
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 16, 2003
                  On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 19:15, Rick Thompson wrote:
                  > I guess you guys haven't noticed my can am style car, it is powered with an
                  > eldorado drivetrain. it is a manta montage and the caddy 500 just fits
                  > under the trunk lid :) http://mantaproject.com the car is a blast to drive
                  > and it just freaks people out when I open the trunk and they see that huge
                  > engine stuck in the back of it....

                  How did you go about hooking up a emergency brake, or have you? This is
                  my biggest concern about building a mid engine car out of a front wheel
                  drive car. According to our local laws, the e-brake has to be an
                  independent system from the normal actuating system such that failure of
                  one does not mean failure of the other.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 16, 2003
                    the back brakes on an eldorado are disk and the calipers have cable
                    operated e-brakes. I just mounted the back calipers on the front rotors.
                    the wheels don't steer anymore so the cables can be ran more or less like
                    any other setup. the front and rear calipers are the same size so it was
                    easy to just bolt them on. I haven't ran the cables on mine yet but I
                    picked up one of those lokar emergency brake cable kits and it should be
                    pretty easy to do. I am probably not going to put the cables on till I get
                    a bit farther along in putting stuff together though.

                    Rick Thompson,
                    http://mantaproject.com

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 16, 2003
                      On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 23:35, Rick Thompson wrote:
                      > the back brakes on an eldorado are disk and the calipers have cable
                      > operated e-brakes. I just mounted the back calipers on the front rotors.
                      > the wheels don't steer anymore so the cables can be ran more or less like
                      > any other setup. the front and rear calipers are the same size so it was
                      > easy to just bolt them on. I haven't ran the cables on mine yet but I
                      > picked up one of those lokar emergency brake cable kits and it should be
                      > pretty easy to do. I am probably not going to put the cables on till I get
                      > a bit farther along in putting stuff together though.

                      Thanks a lot. This will come in handy, and I still have the full
                      Eldorado in the driveway so I can pick the brakes out before I send the
                      rest of the car of to the junk yard.

                      Looks like I need to go do a visual inspection of the rear of this Eldo.
                      The parts store website lists drums on the back of the '73 and no disc
                      parts for the rear. Maybe this is the trouble I run into when I get the
                      benefit of the higher compression engine of the '73.