Only have half throttle

  • Tommy Pierson
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2003
      I want to ask around before I start messing with my throttle cable &
      gass pedal, but when the gas pedal is all the way down, I can still
      move the throttle on the carb. I have a little slack in the cable,
      and I can manualy pull the bar (from the engine compartment) that
      attaches to the gas pedal another four inches or so. This might be
      part of the problem I'm having getting the 1974 hearse to move on the
      highway. I haven't clocked it, but 0-60 takes about half a minute or
      more.
      Is there an adjustment I can make to the gas pedal, or can I
      just bend the bars in a vise to clear the floorboard inside, and the
      firewall outside? Tom Pierson, 1974 Hearse, Fleetwood 75 Commercial
      chasis, 472 w/ q-jet.
    • John Brody
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2003
        I had this problem, although slightly different -- the little bracket that holds the go pedal to the floorpan was loose, causing the pedal shaft to rotate sideways where it couldn't get as far away from the carb in a straight line.  I fixed it by tightening the bracket as much as I could and then bending the shaft a little bit so it could get all the way to WOT about when the pedal was flush with the floor.  That sounds like what you were planning to do anyway; I'd go ahead and do it.

        John

        Pollorey <philsfcs@...> wrote:
        Looks like you need to do something...BAD!

        Where is the pedal when the cable is pulled out at the carb?  Is it where it
        could still be used?  ....you could get your foot on it or is it way up in
        the air?  If it's "normal", try to adjust the connection at the engine.  If
        I recall, there should be an adjustment at the point where the outer sheath
        is attached to the fixed bracket.  You need to make the outer part of the
        cable, the sheath, as long as possible.  This will suck-in, shorten the
        cable proper.  You could also look to relocate the bracket, move it away
        from the carb (maybe it's bent towards the carb).  If there is an adjustment
        at the carb connection point, shorten it up.  Try to make the pedal action
        instant, as soon as you touch it, it should open the carb.  Ideally you want
        the pedal to reach the floor when the carb just gets to max opening (you
        don't want to shorten it so much that you're forcing the carb against open
        stops with the foot off the floor).  If the pedal is not too high with all
        the under hood adjustments taken up and you need more, you can try bending
        the pedal up.  Obviously the Qjet is acting as a 2 bbl!  Great on gas!  You
        could also try shortening the cable at the pedal connection.  Pull it back
        and clamp it with a small diameter cable clamp from a hardware store (the U
        clamp style).

              That's all I can think of......good luck