Re: Factory Horsepower Ratings

  • Tommy Pierson
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2003
      70cadcoupe@c...> wrote:
      > Can someone tell me what my 1970 Cad coupe 472 is rated at
      > (horsepower/torque)?

      The difference is due to the way horsepower ratings were changed in
      the '70's. 375 bhp was a gross measurement. Later measurements were
      net hp. Add 1 other factor: Caddilac made 3 different pistons for the
      472's, which altered the compression ratio. 10:1 on 1970, 8.5:1 after
      that, and 8.25:1 in '74. That's what changes the horsepower. I have
      had the same confusion, but thanks to the guys on this board, I have
      learned a lot. If you want to know if you have the best motor to use,
      I think you do. If you want bragging rights, go ahead and say 375 hp.
      Just realize that that's not whats being produced at the back wheels.
      The torqu rating is even more impressive for that motor, btw.