Re: Factory Horsepower Ratings

  • Juan Ayon
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2003
      375hp @ 4400 rpm
      525 ft. lb. @ 3000 rpm
      Standard rear axle came with a 2.93, 3.15 axle ratio on Seventy-Five
      models. Also available was a controlled differential, aka posi-
      traction.
      To know what rear the car really has, you should look at the tab on
      the differential. It's normally attached to one of the bolts near
      the driveshaft. I can't recall what the codes mean at the moment,
      but I'll look it up if you need them.

      Juan

      ps.. I also have a 70 Coupe DeVille. You can see pics of it in the
      photo section. 70 caddy's have to be the best looking of all
      caddy's, ever. just my biased opinion. lol
    • Tommy Pierson
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2003
        70cadcoupe@c...> wrote:
        > Can someone tell me what my 1970 Cad coupe 472 is rated at
        > (horsepower/torque)?

        The difference is due to the way horsepower ratings were changed in
        the '70's. 375 bhp was a gross measurement. Later measurements were
        net hp. Add 1 other factor: Caddilac made 3 different pistons for the
        472's, which altered the compression ratio. 10:1 on 1970, 8.5:1 after
        that, and 8.25:1 in '74. That's what changes the horsepower. I have
        had the same confusion, but thanks to the guys on this board, I have
        learned a lot. If you want to know if you have the best motor to use,
        I think you do. If you want bragging rights, go ahead and say 375 hp.
        Just realize that that's not whats being produced at the back wheels.
        The torqu rating is even more impressive for that motor, btw.