Re: 4.9L performance parts

  • shwgidy
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2003
      Yeah your right porting the exhaust outlet will improve the hp a
      lot. I have heard that a K&N filter and a fastchip.com chip will
      give another 20hp. But I dont know about the fastchip, I think
      advancing the timing 3-5 degrees does the same thing....

      If you do the allante intake swap be forwarned that there a lot of
      possible trouble areas...

      -Brian

      --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
      Lucke <wlucke@s...> wrote:
      > The 4.9 will stay together at 6000 RPM... but it takes a lot of
      work to get power from it, as the intake and exhaust ports are not
      balanced. The intakes flow well, but the exhausts are small, in
      typical emissions engine style, and require a LOT of porting to get
      flow from them. Will look into that upper intake...
      > Thanks
      >

      > Will

    • Scott Pearson
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2003
        Just advancing the timing will only confuse your ECM. If you're going to
        advance the timing, you should also change the base timing in the
        calibration.

        Scott

        > Yeah your right porting the exhaust outlet will improve the hp a
        > lot. I have heard that a K&N filter and a fastchip.com chip will
        > give another 20hp. But I dont know about the fastchip, I think
        > advancing the timing 3-5 degrees does the same thing....
        >
        > If you do the allante intake swap be forwarned that there a lot of
        > possible trouble areas...
        >
        > -Brian
        >

        > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
        > Lucke <wlucke@s...> wrote:
        > > The 4.9 will stay together at 6000 RPM... but it takes a lot of
        > work to get power from it, as the intake and exhaust ports are not
        > balanced. The intakes flow well, but the exhausts are small, in
        > typical emissions engine style, and require a LOT of porting to get
        > flow from them. Will look into that upper intake...
        > > Thanks
        > >

        > > Will

      • shwgidy
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 6, 2003
          You mean rotating the camshaft a gear tooth or two (which would be 2-
          5degrees), right? I'm sorry I've never done this, but Ive sort-of
          seen it done on other engines...

          -Brian

          Oh yeah and what about that trick where you put a resistor in line
          with the MAP sensor and get the engine to think there is more air
          than there really is? I have seen a guy selling this trick on ebay
          for a couple of bucks...

          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Scott
          Pearson" <mrcad472@i...> wrote:
          > Just advancing the timing will only confuse your ECM. If you're
          going to
          > advance the timing, you should also change the base timing in the
          > calibration.
          >
          > Scott

        • John Brody
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 8, 2003
            I think he's referring to spark timing; if you advance spark timing without telling the ECM, it will not have a valid point of reference -- so whatever adjustments it makes will not necessarily accomplish what it's trying to do.

            As far as adjusting the cam timing, you cannot do it by jumping a tooth on the cam gear.  This will not give you the resolution that you need to adjust it properly.  The proper way to adjust cam timing is with an aftermarket timing set that will have various offset keyways, in increments of 1 to 3 degrees.  Furthermore, my guess is that adjusting the stock camshaft one way or the other will severely kill low or high end; if you really want to get specific with cam timing, you probably want an aftermarket cam shaft too.

            John