Factory Horsepower Ratings

  • Albert
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2003
      Hello,
      Can someone tell me what my 1970 Cad coupe 472 is rated at
      (horsepower/torque)? I was looking at the cad500parts.com website.
      The online Catalog showed ratings ALOT lower than what I have ever
      read before. Also, what is my correct rear gear ratio for 1970?
      Thanks. I really enjoy this group.

      Trey
    • Juan Ayon
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2003
        375hp @ 4400 rpm
        525 ft. lb. @ 3000 rpm
        Standard rear axle came with a 2.93, 3.15 axle ratio on Seventy-Five
        models. Also available was a controlled differential, aka posi-
        traction.
        To know what rear the car really has, you should look at the tab on
        the differential. It's normally attached to one of the bolts near
        the driveshaft. I can't recall what the codes mean at the moment,
        but I'll look it up if you need them.

        Juan

        ps.. I also have a 70 Coupe DeVille. You can see pics of it in the
        photo section. 70 caddy's have to be the best looking of all
        caddy's, ever. just my biased opinion. lol
      • Tommy Pierson
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2003
          70cadcoupe@c...> wrote:
          > Can someone tell me what my 1970 Cad coupe 472 is rated at
          > (horsepower/torque)?

          The difference is due to the way horsepower ratings were changed in
          the '70's. 375 bhp was a gross measurement. Later measurements were
          net hp. Add 1 other factor: Caddilac made 3 different pistons for the
          472's, which altered the compression ratio. 10:1 on 1970, 8.5:1 after
          that, and 8.25:1 in '74. That's what changes the horsepower. I have
          had the same confusion, but thanks to the guys on this board, I have
          learned a lot. If you want to know if you have the best motor to use,
          I think you do. If you want bragging rights, go ahead and say 375 hp.
          Just realize that that's not whats being produced at the back wheels.
          The torqu rating is even more impressive for that motor, btw.