Re: 4.9L performance parts

  • William Lucke
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
      The 4.9 will stay together at 6000 RPM... but it takes a lot of work to get
      power from it, as the intake and exhaust ports are not balanced. The
      intakes flow well, but the exhausts are small, in typical emissions engine
      style, and require a LOT of porting to get flow from them.
      Will look into that upper intake...
      Thanks

      Will

      > From: "shwgidy" <shwgidy@...>
      >Subject: Re: 4.9L performance parts
      >

      > > >performance parts as far as I know are like this...
      > > >allante lower and upper intake (a guy on the cadero list has the
      > > >upper for sale) and both the allante fuel rails...
      > >
      > > Do you know who? I've got a lower that needs an upper...
      > >

      >xxxRichardleeburnsxxx@... to protect his email I placed xxx s in
      >it which you need to take out
      >

      > > >If you do everything here you might have about 340 hp to the
      >wheels...
      > >

      > > Not even close. The stock engine was rated at 200 HP at the crank.
      > > Rockcrawl, who runs www.fieroaddiction.com has a 4.9 that's been
      >taken
      >

      >I guess I did write the wrong thing. But then again Im just relaying
      >what the cadero board has spitten out. They said 320 at the crank
      >not at the wheels. But then again that would require a lot of time
      >on a dyno trying out different cam grinds...
      >20hp for allante intake and polish (probably more than normal since
      >it was ment for a 4.5L)
      >20+hp for compression ratio increase
      >20+hp cam regrind
      >
      >I dont know about which car would be faster, but a 4.9L with all
      >these upgrades I think would have comparable hp and more torque then
      >your stock Northstar.... But then again Im just shootin the shit with
      >ya lol....
      >
      >Good luck with your northstar,
      >Brian
    • shwgidy
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2003
        Yeah your right porting the exhaust outlet will improve the hp a
        lot. I have heard that a K&N filter and a fastchip.com chip will
        give another 20hp. But I dont know about the fastchip, I think
        advancing the timing 3-5 degrees does the same thing....

        If you do the allante intake swap be forwarned that there a lot of
        possible trouble areas...

        -Brian

        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
        Lucke <wlucke@s...> wrote:
        > The 4.9 will stay together at 6000 RPM... but it takes a lot of
        work to get power from it, as the intake and exhaust ports are not
        balanced. The intakes flow well, but the exhausts are small, in
        typical emissions engine style, and require a LOT of porting to get
        flow from them. Will look into that upper intake...
        > Thanks
        >

        > Will

      • Scott Pearson
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 3, 2003
          Just advancing the timing will only confuse your ECM. If you're going to
          advance the timing, you should also change the base timing in the
          calibration.

          Scott

          > Yeah your right porting the exhaust outlet will improve the hp a
          > lot. I have heard that a K&N filter and a fastchip.com chip will
          > give another 20hp. But I dont know about the fastchip, I think
          > advancing the timing 3-5 degrees does the same thing....
          >
          > If you do the allante intake swap be forwarned that there a lot of
          > possible trouble areas...
          >
          > -Brian
          >

          > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
          > Lucke <wlucke@s...> wrote:
          > > The 4.9 will stay together at 6000 RPM... but it takes a lot of
          > work to get power from it, as the intake and exhaust ports are not
          > balanced. The intakes flow well, but the exhausts are small, in
          > typical emissions engine style, and require a LOT of porting to get
          > flow from them. Will look into that upper intake...
          > > Thanks
          > >

          > > Will

        • shwgidy
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 6, 2003
            You mean rotating the camshaft a gear tooth or two (which would be 2-
            5degrees), right? I'm sorry I've never done this, but Ive sort-of
            seen it done on other engines...

            -Brian

            Oh yeah and what about that trick where you put a resistor in line
            with the MAP sensor and get the engine to think there is more air
            than there really is? I have seen a guy selling this trick on ebay
            for a couple of bucks...

            --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Scott
            Pearson" <mrcad472@i...> wrote:
            > Just advancing the timing will only confuse your ECM. If you're
            going to
            > advance the timing, you should also change the base timing in the
            > calibration.
            >
            > Scott

          • John Brody
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 8, 2003
              I think he's referring to spark timing; if you advance spark timing without telling the ECM, it will not have a valid point of reference -- so whatever adjustments it makes will not necessarily accomplish what it's trying to do.

              As far as adjusting the cam timing, you cannot do it by jumping a tooth on the cam gear.  This will not give you the resolution that you need to adjust it properly.  The proper way to adjust cam timing is with an aftermarket timing set that will have various offset keyways, in increments of 1 to 3 degrees.  Furthermore, my guess is that adjusting the stock camshaft one way or the other will severely kill low or high end; if you really want to get specific with cam timing, you probably want an aftermarket cam shaft too.

              John