turbo charging a 472 caddy

  • legayerabydavis56
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 27, 2003
      im putting in a 68 472 caddy in my 71 f250 stepside i want to put
      twin turbos on the 472 i do a lot of heavy towing and hauling also i
      cant get the right gears for my truck it has 3.85 gears i dont want
      to blow up the 472 ive been told that i need 2.73s to 3.55s.the rear
      end in my truck is a dana 60 with tracklok posi .i dont think the
      caddy rear end is strong enough to do what i do i could be wrong .if
      anybody can help .thank you
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 27, 2003
        legayerabydavis56,

        You can get 3.07-3.33 gears from Dana 60s in later vans. I've never
        heard of 3.85-1s in any year 60, btw. What is the tooth count?

        I suggest that you join the Yahoo groups, blowthruturbo, draw-thru
        and junkyardturbo [jyturbo]. Study [scan all the messages from #1,
        at each of those groups]. That'll give you an idea of what you'd be
        getting into. You would need very high quality exhaust valves, and
        perhaps even seats for heavy towing. Under extended heavy loads,
        those components will see extreme heat under boost.
        Dave