What headers to use with MTS Cadillac flanges

  • tremorj10
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2002
      Here is an alternative to using Big Block Chevy headers on a
      Cadillac. Thanks to Charles for answering this post.

      Q: What is the best and cheapest header to cut and weld on to mts'
      flanges for 1.75 primaries?

      A: From an alignment standpoint, the closest port relationship is
      from the 460 Ford family. The same man designed both the Caddy
      472/500 and the 460 Ford---and the engines are off just a little bit
      in many respects. I would look for a decent set of 460 Ford headers
      and cut them off and weld them on to your flanges. Do this while they
      are bolted to a dummy set of heads and let them cool slowly and
      completely before you unbolt them. I doubled up the flanges and have
      never replaced the gaskets on my engine since I did. I use the copper
      SCE gaskets that fit the ford 460 engine.

      Q: Do the Fords align as well as the Big Block Chevy headers?

      A: I tried the bb chevy, ford and mopar---the ford was much closer as
      far as aligning or re-aligning the tubes for the new flanges. If you
      look at the way a bb chevy exits and a 460, you can see what I mean.
      I just went to my machines shop with a rubbing of my ports and asked
      if i could rub the other heads and then i measured them and found the
      Ford was the closest. It goes without saying that there are so many
      more applications for the chevy headers...i.e. almost every car gm
      made, but as far as the flanges go the ford was the closest.
      Remember, my application doesnt care about the rest of the header
      because its in a boat and the header configuration for the tubes
      really didnt concern me as much. If you want a laugh, set a ford 460
      head next to a caddy....they are very close.