Northstar Oil leak

  • tremorj10
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7 7:16 PM
      Thanks to Geaorge on the MTS board for this post about oil leaks in
      the Northstar engines:

      My Caddy service rep (and long time friend) tells me that the mid
      90's seals were not very good. There is a 'service' kit of some 30 to
      35 new seals that are of better design and quality. Once the car has
      an oil leak, the recommended service is to pull the engine and
      replace ALL the seals. I've already had this done on my '96 Deville.
      He says that his dealership will not even offer to fix just the one
      seal, it's not much more work to do the rest once you have the engine
      pulled and it is guaranteed for another 100000 miles. So this is why
      it's a $2200 job, it is a LOT of work. Mine ran $2000 but $1900 was
      covered by an extended warranty plan, that paid for the warranty
      right there.