4.9L performance parts

  • David Isakson
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 17, 2003
      Any body know where I can find a few performance parts for the 4.9L engine, and what about gear ratio changes?   thanx

    • William Lucke
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 18, 2003
        No performance parts as you might think of with a Chevy, but the guy who
        runs www.fieroaddiction.com has done performance work with 4.9's.

        Will

        > From: David Isakson <davesracing98070@...>
        >Subject: 4.9L performance parts
        >
        >Any body know where I can find a few performance parts for the 4.9L
        >engine, and what about gear ratio changes? thanx
      • shwgidy
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 26, 2003
          gear ratio changes are accomplished by looking up a model with the
          desired gear ratio and going and pulling it at your local salvage
          yard....

          performance parts as far as I know are like this...
          allante lower and upper intake (a guy on the cadero list has the
          upper for sale) and both the allante fuel rails... the actual
          injection timing should be ok but if you want to use the allante
          throttle body you might have to switch the prom or ecm... that swap
          should give you 20 or so hp...
          you can also bore out the 4.9L to 5.0L and use northstar pistons,
          this provides higher compression and gives another 20hp
          a cam regrind might give ya another 20 if done right, but since these
          engines already have chatter at high rpm you might want to void
          that...

          If you do everything here you might have about 340 hp to the wheels...

          If your looking for some easy hp I would just play with advancing the
          timing up to 4-5 degrees, you should be able to do that for close to
          nothing I guess if you have the service manual...

          -Brian

          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, David

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 27, 2003
            > From: "shwgidy" <shwgidy@...>
            >Subject: Re: 4.9L performance parts
            >
            >performance parts as far as I know are like this...
            >allante lower and upper intake (a guy on the cadero list has the
            >upper for sale) and both the allante fuel rails...

            Do you know who? I've got a lower that needs an upper...

            >If you do everything here you might have about 340 hp to the wheels...

            Not even close. The stock engine was rated at 200 HP at the crank.
            Rockcrawl, who runs www.fieroaddiction.com has a 4.9 that's been taken
            about as far as it can be taken economically, and his Fiero isn't even as
            fast as my box stock not-that-well-tuned Northstar Fiero. If you're
            looking for big performance, the 4.9 isn't the engine for you. However,
            Rockcrawl has a LOT of knowledge about these engines and if you want to
            upgrade, then talk to him.

            Will
          • shwgidy
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 27, 2003

              > >performance parts as far as I know are like this...
              > >allante lower and upper intake (a guy on the cadero list has the
              > >upper for sale) and both the allante fuel rails...
              >
              > Do you know who? I've got a lower that needs an upper...

              xxxRichardleeburnsxxx@... to protect his email I placed xxx s in
              it which you need to take out

              > >If you do everything here you might have about 340 hp to the
              wheels...

              > Not even close. The stock engine was rated at 200 HP at the crank.
              > Rockcrawl, who runs www.fieroaddiction.com has a 4.9 that's been
              taken

              I guess I did write the wrong thing. But then again Im just relaying
              what the cadero board has spitten out. They said 320 at the crank
              not at the wheels. But then again that would require a lot of time
              on a dyno trying out different cam grinds...
              20hp for allante intake and polish (probably more than normal since
              it was ment for a 4.5L)
              20+hp for compression ratio increase
              20+hp cam regrind

              I dont know about which car would be faster, but a 4.9L with all
              these upgrades I think would have comparable hp and more torque then
              your stock Northstar.... But then again Im just shootin the shit with
              ya lol....

              Good luck with your northstar,
              Brian
            • Lance
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 30, 2003
                --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "shwgidy"
                <shwgidy@y...> wrote:

                > I dont know about which car would be faster, but a 4.9L with all
                > these upgrades I think would have comparable hp and more torque
                then
                > your stock Northstar.... But then again Im just shootin the shit
                with
                > ya lol....
                >
                > Good luck with your northstar,
                > Brian

                You might be right about the torque, since a stock 4.9 is supposed to
                have 295 ft/lbs of it. Two things are probable limitations though, it
                is not a particulaly strong motor mechanically, but more to the
                point, it is a not a good breather. It would be hard to get it to the
                point where it will flow as well as the Northstars 32 valves.
              • William Lucke
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
                  The 4.9 will stay together at 6000 RPM... but it takes a lot of work to get
                  power from it, as the intake and exhaust ports are not balanced. The
                  intakes flow well, but the exhausts are small, in typical emissions engine
                  style, and require a LOT of porting to get flow from them.
                  Will look into that upper intake...
                  Thanks

                  Will

                  > From: "shwgidy" <shwgidy@...>
                  >Subject: Re: 4.9L performance parts
                  >

                  > > >performance parts as far as I know are like this...
                  > > >allante lower and upper intake (a guy on the cadero list has the
                  > > >upper for sale) and both the allante fuel rails...
                  > >
                  > > Do you know who? I've got a lower that needs an upper...
                  > >

                  >xxxRichardleeburnsxxx@... to protect his email I placed xxx s in
                  >it which you need to take out
                  >

                  > > >If you do everything here you might have about 340 hp to the
                  >wheels...
                  > >

                  > > Not even close. The stock engine was rated at 200 HP at the crank.
                  > > Rockcrawl, who runs www.fieroaddiction.com has a 4.9 that's been
                  >taken
                  >

                  >I guess I did write the wrong thing. But then again Im just relaying
                  >what the cadero board has spitten out. They said 320 at the crank
                  >not at the wheels. But then again that would require a lot of time
                  >on a dyno trying out different cam grinds...
                  >20hp for allante intake and polish (probably more than normal since
                  >it was ment for a 4.5L)
                  >20+hp for compression ratio increase
                  >20+hp cam regrind
                  >
                  >I dont know about which car would be faster, but a 4.9L with all
                  >these upgrades I think would have comparable hp and more torque then
                  >your stock Northstar.... But then again Im just shootin the shit with
                  >ya lol....
                  >
                  >Good luck with your northstar,
                  >Brian
                • shwgidy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 3, 2003
                    Yeah your right porting the exhaust outlet will improve the hp a
                    lot. I have heard that a K&N filter and a fastchip.com chip will
                    give another 20hp. But I dont know about the fastchip, I think
                    advancing the timing 3-5 degrees does the same thing....

                    If you do the allante intake swap be forwarned that there a lot of
                    possible trouble areas...

                    -Brian

                    --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
                    Lucke <wlucke@s...> wrote:
                    > The 4.9 will stay together at 6000 RPM... but it takes a lot of
                    work to get power from it, as the intake and exhaust ports are not
                    balanced. The intakes flow well, but the exhausts are small, in
                    typical emissions engine style, and require a LOT of porting to get
                    flow from them. Will look into that upper intake...
                    > Thanks
                    >

                    > Will

                  • Scott Pearson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2003
                      Just advancing the timing will only confuse your ECM. If you're going to
                      advance the timing, you should also change the base timing in the
                      calibration.

                      Scott

                      > Yeah your right porting the exhaust outlet will improve the hp a
                      > lot. I have heard that a K&N filter and a fastchip.com chip will
                      > give another 20hp. But I dont know about the fastchip, I think
                      > advancing the timing 3-5 degrees does the same thing....
                      >
                      > If you do the allante intake swap be forwarned that there a lot of
                      > possible trouble areas...
                      >
                      > -Brian
                      >

                      > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
                      > Lucke <wlucke@s...> wrote:
                      > > The 4.9 will stay together at 6000 RPM... but it takes a lot of
                      > work to get power from it, as the intake and exhaust ports are not
                      > balanced. The intakes flow well, but the exhausts are small, in
                      > typical emissions engine style, and require a LOT of porting to get
                      > flow from them. Will look into that upper intake...
                      > > Thanks
                      > >

                      > > Will

                    • shwgidy
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 6, 2003
                        You mean rotating the camshaft a gear tooth or two (which would be 2-
                        5degrees), right? I'm sorry I've never done this, but Ive sort-of
                        seen it done on other engines...

                        -Brian

                        Oh yeah and what about that trick where you put a resistor in line
                        with the MAP sensor and get the engine to think there is more air
                        than there really is? I have seen a guy selling this trick on ebay
                        for a couple of bucks...

                        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Scott
                        Pearson" <mrcad472@i...> wrote:
                        > Just advancing the timing will only confuse your ECM. If you're
                        going to
                        > advance the timing, you should also change the base timing in the
                        > calibration.
                        >
                        > Scott

                      • John Brody
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 8, 2003
                          I think he's referring to spark timing; if you advance spark timing without telling the ECM, it will not have a valid point of reference -- so whatever adjustments it makes will not necessarily accomplish what it's trying to do.

                          As far as adjusting the cam timing, you cannot do it by jumping a tooth on the cam gear.  This will not give you the resolution that you need to adjust it properly.  The proper way to adjust cam timing is with an aftermarket timing set that will have various offset keyways, in increments of 1 to 3 degrees.  Furthermore, my guess is that adjusting the stock camshaft one way or the other will severely kill low or high end; if you really want to get specific with cam timing, you probably want an aftermarket cam shaft too.

                          John