super high compression

  • cowboy_seven_motorsports
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 15, 2003
      Hi guys, I'm doing a Cad 500 swap into a G-body. I just obtained some
      stock 10:1 pistons from a 70 model but after thinking on it a bit, I
      decided that when it was all said and done that's just not going to
      satisfy my thirst for power.

      So I got to thinking about Hot Rod's "Torque Pig" buildup where they
      did the head swap to get 12.5:1 compression and fueled it on 100
      octane. They ended up with 450HP/580ft-lbs off of a cam, intake,
      headers, and high compression. Here's the deal, I got the crazy idea
      of doing nearly the same thing, without spending a fortune on race gas.

      First, my small chamber heads are already ported but I will be working
      them over some more and polishing the combustion chambers to a mirror
      shine. I was thinking of also polishing the top of the pistons a tad.
      This will inhibit carbon buildup and hot spots in the combustion
      chamber and will also drop the compression ratio a slight bit (maybe
      .1 to .2).

      Next, I was going to run Evans NPG+ coolant, which is not a miracle
      coolant or anything but will help quite a bit in keeping the valves
      cool (which will obviously help against detonation).

      Third, I was planning to run a water injection setup, to inhibit
      detonation. With properly tuned water injection I'm guessing that I
      should be able to run the engine around stock timing or a few degrees
      retarded to avoid detonation. Thus, I should be able to run 93 premium
      with water injection while cruising around town.

      Fourth, when maximum performance is desired, I would be dumping
      several gallons of toluene in the tank and jacking up the timing.

      What do you guys think of the feasability of this plan, and do you
      have any suggestions? In answer to the supposed fragility of the
      pistons, I would tend to think that they will last as long as I keep
      the A/F ratio in line (I'll be tuning the Q-jet with wideband O2) and
      keep it out of any sort of detonation. However, I'd like to hear
      differing opinions.

      Thanks guys!
    • Pollorey
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 15, 2003
        You could always run Alcohol!

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 16, 2003
          Yes I could, but my goal is to be able to run mainly on 93 octane pump
          gas so that this car can be my daily driver without fear of getting
          stranded without fuel etc.

          I've tracked down an excellent water injection kit that will do
          exactly what I need for cheap. It will allow me to mount a large
          reservoir in the trunk and will be triggered by a throttle position
          sensor (which i can acquire and mount to my Q-jet).

          Here's a link:

          http://becooling.safeshopper.com/31/175.htm?816

          It's looking like I can run 93 octane with my timing set at factory
          standard, and inject water. This will give me great performance, but
          when I want maximum performance, I'll dump in several gallons of
          toluene and jack up the timing.

          I will *definately* come back and let you guys know how this works out.

          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Pollorey"