MPG improvements on BB Caddy

  • Cody Carson
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6, 2002
      Here is my scenario as a starting point. A basically stock 500 with throttle body injection, cold ram air, overdrive transmission, 3.15 gears, car weighs 3,637 pounds and has the aerodynamics of a brick. It runs 255/50 ZR 17 tires at all four corners. I want to improve the MPGs as much as possible. I would like this discussion to cover cost effective engine modifications that to NOT take away from performance. My information says a thermal fan clutch will give 3.5 MPGs over a stock metal fan with a spacer. I'm considering dual electric fans if a salvage yard application is available. How much more will that help? I'm going to use an Accel Super Coil with the HEI computer distributor and 8.5mm 300+ race wires unless there is a better suggestion. Do Split Fire plugs really help that much-or is it just good advertising? Are roller rockers any good in this 5000RPM red line application? What about shaft rockers? Are roller shaft rockers available? And if so, how much will that cost? It there a gas mileage cam for this engine? Does anyone have a 20+ MPG Cad 500 application? If so, what is it in, and what are your MPGs? My '82 Eldorado does not have room for headers, but I do have dual 2 1/2" header pipes that merge into a 4" pipe under the center to clear the torsion bar area, then the exhaust goes back to dual 2 1/2" and then through two Dynomax turbo mufflers. As a daily driver, interstate cruiser, and part time autocross and road racer, I want it to excel in MPG performance and any input on this is welcome.(Note: Eldorados of this body style that were powered by the 4100 averaged 27 MPG on the highway. The 368 powered '81 models did not do this well, even with a 2.41ratio diff.)

    • sundyrse
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6, 2002
        I can understand your need for fuel economy. In 1970, the BB really
        came alive! taken from the corvette and put into the Eldo. what a
        dream. Pass anything EXCEPT a gas station. I own a '70 Eldo. and with
        straight back exhaust, middle crossover and 2 1/2" pipes all the way
        back with Calif. turbos in between. This dream car can easily cruise
        85 mph all day and not hesitate once. I have the stock Rochester quad-
        jet carb. I can acheive 23 m.p.g. on freeway, and 17 m.p.g. in the
        cities. I am looking to better this. Where did you get your throttle
        bore injection system and what about headers? the stock exhaust
        manifold is old and tired. also very thin and I am afraid it will
        fall apart soon.
      • phoneman99a <phoneman99a@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 25, 2003
          I would also like to know where to buy a throttle body EFI
          conversion to replace the Quad.

          Giles

          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "sundyrse"
        • plugers <plugers@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2003
            If any of you are electronically inclined, try this group:

            I have built one and will be using it on my 500 build up.
            Steve

            --- In
            Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "phoneman99a
            <phoneman99a@y...>" <phoneman99a@y...> wrote:
            > I would also like to know where to buy a throttle body EFI
            > conversion to replace the Quad.
            >
            > Giles
            >
            > --- In
            Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "sundyrse"
            > <Sundyrse59@a...> wrote:
            > > I can understand your need for fuel economy. In 1970, the BB
            > really
            > > came alive! taken from the corvette and put into the Eldo. what
            > > dream. Pass anything EXCEPT a gas station. I own a '70 Eldo. and
            > with
            > > straight back exhaust, middle crossover and 2 1/2" pipes all the
            > way
            > > back with Calif. turbos in between. This dream car can easily
            > cruise
            > > 85 mph all day and not hesitate once. I have the stock Rochester
            > quad-
            > > jet carb. I can acheive 23 m.p.g. on freeway, and 17 m.p.g. in
            the
            > > cities. I am looking to better this. Where did you get your
            > throttle
            > > bore injection system and what about headers? the stock exhaust
            > > manifold is old and tired. also very thin and I am afraid it
            will
            > > fall apart soon.
          • William Lucke
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
              There's also www.diy-efi.org/gmecm
              There you'll find info on how to use a stock GM ECM to control your Caddy.
              It will take some editing of computer code, though.

              There was a rare fuel injection option for 472's/500's. If you found one of
              those manifolds, you could use port fuel injection instead of TBI.

              My dad has one of the manifolds and is modifying a Caddy distributor to
              accept the optical pickup from a '92-'97 LT1 optical distributor. Once
              that's done he'll be able to run the 500 with LT1 electronics, which can be
              reprogrammed with software here: www.carputing.com

              Will

              > From: "plugers <plugers@...>" <plugers@...>
              >Subject: Re: MPG improvements on BB Caddy
              >
              >If any of you are electronically inclined, try this group:

              >I have built one and will be using it on my 500 build up.
              >Steve
              >

              >--- In
              >Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "phoneman99a
              ><phoneman99a@y...>" <phoneman99a@y...> wrote:
              > > I would also like to know where to buy a throttle body EFI
              > > conversion to replace the Quad.
              > >
              > > Giles
              > >
              > > --- In
              >Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "sundyrse"
              > > <Sundyrse59@a...> wrote:
              > > > I can understand your need for fuel economy. In 1970, the BB
              > > really
              > > > came alive! taken from the corvette and put into the Eldo. what
              > > > dream. Pass anything EXCEPT a gas station. I own a '70 Eldo. and
              > > with
              > > > straight back exhaust, middle crossover and 2 1/2" pipes all the
              > > way
              > > > back with Calif. turbos in between. This dream car can easily
              > > cruise
              > > > 85 mph all day and not hesitate once. I have the stock Rochester
              > > quad-
              > > > jet carb. I can acheive 23 m.p.g. on freeway, and 17 m.p.g. in
              >the
              > > > cities. I am looking to better this. Where did you get your
              > > throttle
              > > > bore injection system and what about headers? the stock exhaust
              > > > manifold is old and tired. also very thin and I am afraid it
              >will
              > > > fall apart soon.
            • Karl Fisher Rarities (Switzerland)
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 10, 2003
                Dear Friends,

                My name is Prof. Karl Fisher from Fisher Rarities Ltd, located in
                Zermatt, Switzerland. We deal in many areas of antiques, including
                antique cars.

                We have recently purchased a nice antique automobile for our client, but
                he was not able to pay for him due to some his financial problems.

                We would be very interested to sell this really nice item on a discounted
                price:

                1931 Ford Model A 400 Convertible Sedan
                The Model A 400 is an extremely rare car; it was only manufactured in the
                year 1931.
                Its patterned after the Victoria which was introduced in 1930. The
                Victoria was a bustle-back 2-door sedan with a padded vinyl roof.
                In the 1931, the stylist decided to make the padded roof go down,
                so they put a retractable roof on the 2-door sedan,
                leaving the door posts and rear window posts intact. So as you look at the
                car, unlike a convertible sedan, this 2-door sedan has a complete door and a top
                and side posts on the windows and the door opening.

                During the Model A model run, which encompassed 4 years, Ford built over
                4 million Model A's. Of the Model A 400, less than 4000 were manufactured.
                Of those 4000, less than 400 remain today. This car is certainly a survivor,
                and a splendid example of one of the most desirable Model A's ever built,
                the Model A 400.

                It is equipped with dual side mounts, it has 6 new Firestone whitewall
                tires.
                Being a deluxe model, it has cowl lamps, and of course the famous aoogah
                horn.
                It also has a stone shield, quail radiator cap, dual door-mounted
                rear-view mirrors, dual tail lamps, a luggage rack in the rear, 4/1 piece bumper
                in the rear,
                since the dual side mounts are located in the fenders there's no need for
                the split rear bumper as most Model A's had. It sports genuine leather seats,
                when the car was first manufactured it used genuine leather seats.

                The car was originally sold new in the state of Arizona. It went to a
                collector in Colorado who gave it a complete frame-off restoration. From there,
                it went to a collector in Berlin, Germany and from there to
                Switzerland, where some improvements were made on it:
                Installed 5 seat belts and vintage-type turn signals that work uniquely - you
                turn them on and set them in a position to indicate either left or right turn.
                After you
                complete the turn you flip the arm one time and the turn signal cancels.

                In July 2002, this car was sold to our company and we are ready to sell it
                JUST for USD 29'100 with a FREE INSURED DELIVERY from Zermatt,
                Switzerland to the USA.

                We will be able to mail you 20 pictures of the car to you.

                Look forward for your answer,

                Sincerely yours,

                Prof. Karl Fisher
                Fisher's Rarities Ltd.