Engine Swapping...

  • Chuck
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
      Hey, group!

      Am looking at the possibility of upgrading the powerplant/tranny in
      my '89 Brougham. The 307's huffing oil, and the tranny downshifts
      roughly. As my mileage is a paltry 13.5 mpg now (15.8 highway), I'd
      like to get more power and economy, if that's possible. Would like
      to put a GM 350/400 in it, with a durable tranny like a Turbo 400.
      Would also like to use an aftermarket F.I. unit like the Holley
      Commander 950, but cannot use it on my current ride due to the
      electronics in carb and tranny.

      All that having been said, can I simply swap in the motor/tranny I
      want and not screw with the other vehicle electrics, most
      importantly the environmental control? How much would such a thing
      cost in terms of fabrication of brackets, etc, if at all? Has anyone
      DONE such a swap? Can I just find what I want at the local GM
      boneyard and drop it in?

      Thanks a MILLION, folks!!!
      Chuck
      cmk59@...
    • Scott Pearson
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2003
        With some work, you could make that 200-4R work with the Caddy 500. If
        you're planning to go EFI, a GM TBI would be the easiest way and you could
        also control the lock-up convertor in the 200-4R with the ECM. Much better
        system than the Holley. A 454 TBI should handle the big Cad.

        Scott