Re: More on Big Cad in '79-'85 Eldo/Seville

  • ja70cad
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6 2:06 AM
      --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@y..., "Cody Carson"
      <uplink2jesus@h...> wrote:

      Cody, I was reading your post and I saw that your gonna be adding
      Slick 50 to your engine. Let me give you a little warning before you
      do it. Some years ago, I worked for a company that was marketing a
      product called Militec. Militec is a synthethic based metal
      conditioner (It does have a link to the military by the way, hence
      the name). What it does is create a molecular coating of oil on metal
      surfaces. Militec was used in many applications from Kyle Petty's
      stock car and general auto and aviation engines to a lubricant for
      guns. I became somewhat familiar with products like Slick 50 due to
      the fact that we were trying to compete with them. As you may know,
      or not, Slick 50 uses PTFE, better known as "Teflon by Dupont" to
      work it's magic. When it first hit the market, Dupont had it's name
      all over it, but over time they removed it due to the problems that
      it brought them. Now teflon is good for pots and pans but not for
      engines. It actually takes a considerable amount of heat to bond to
      it's metal surface and as your wife probably has noticed it
      eventually falls off too. Well that's exactly what happens when you
      put this kind of stuff in to your engine, only it's worse. Your
      engine temperature never reaches the point that the teflon needs to
      bond it correctly to the metal surfaces. So what happens is all that
      gunk will be removed rather quickly and find it's way into your oils
      passages and filter. This as you know can be extremely dangerous. I
      seen many testimonials that proved this. If you read on a bottle of
      Slick 50 it warns you to not use it in a new engine. That's because
      the teflon fills the tight tolerances in a new engine and that can
      lead to severe engine damage. Now teflon based products apparently
      work great on worn engines but again it's because the teflon
      temporarally tighten tolerances. The teflon will eventually fall off
      due to the moving parts in an engine and end up in places you don't
      want it to be. I would recommend using products that are metal
      conditioners. I believe DuraLube is one of them. I'm sure there are
      others but I just can't think of any right now. So with that my
      brother, all I can say is be wise and don't believe everything that's
      touted on the marketplace, but you probably know that.. LOL
      Good Luck, Partner
      Juan
      I hope I made some sense with all this..
    • Cody Carson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6 8:40 AM

        Thank you Juan, I was not aware that Slick 50 posed any danger to the engine;I will stay away from it from now on. This gives me an idea for a new topic. I will put it in the next post so that the title of the subject makes it easier for readers to find when searching the message topics. I will also post it on the MTS message board. Thanks again

        Cody