introduction

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2003
      Hi All: I just purchased a 1939 Plymouth 4 door (suicide rears) with
      a 3" top chop. It's sitting on a 70 buick chassis & rear end with a
      camaro front clip. I plan on dropping the 472 from my 71 M&M hearse
      into it. The hearse has been fun, but is a little too much car for my
      wife to drive (22' blind spot & a terror to park.) Anyone done a swap
      similar to this, and where might I look for some mild hop-up parts.
      I've already got a set of sanderson block hugger headers, but might
      want to go with an aluminum intake and Holley carb as well as a
      little more cam. Any help would be appreciated. Greg
    • Pollorey
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2003
        What headers did you get PN? Is it a simple bolt-on?

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2003
          You need to visit Maximum Torque Specialties (MTS) at www.500cid.com
          You'll find all the "hop-up" parts you need there. I would suggest
          calling Al, the owner of MTS, he's a very nice guy and very willing
          to help in the advice catagory. Also, let me suggest visiting the
          MTS messageboard. There are alot of very knowledgeable guys that can
          also help you out with advice. Good luck, it sounds like a cool
          project.

          Juan
        • Pierson, Tom
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2003
            Are you parting out the hearse?  How was your clearance with the Sanderson Headers?

            Hi All: I just purchased a 1939 Plymouth 4 door (suicide rears) with
            a 3" top chop. It's sitting on a 70 buick chassis & rear end with a
            camaro front clip. I plan on dropping the 472 from my 71 M&M hearse
            into it. The hearse has been fun, but is a little too much car for my
            wife to drive (22' blind spot & a terror to park.) Anyone done a swap
            similar to this, and where might I look for some mild hop-up parts.
            I've already got a set of sanderson block hugger headers, but might
            want to go with an aluminum intake and Holley carb as well as a
            little more cam. Any help would be appreciated.     Greg

          • greg and marilyn gemmill
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2003
              I will be installing the headers when the motor goes into the Plymouth. I was going to stick them on this summer when I updated the exhaust system, but started to run into some stubborn nuts and studs, and rather than pull the heads off to repair broken parts, I figured I'd just wait until the engine came out. From measuring, and eyeballing from underneath, They look like a clean fit if you can get the original manifolds out of there without busting hardware. I'm not sure what all I may be taking off of the hearse yet. The Front and rear  chrome are beautiful as well as the interior, so I may make some of it available when the time comes.
                                                                                                                                                                            Greg

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
                I will be getting rid of my 70 M&M hearse after I pull the engine, trans., brakes, and a few controls  out of it this winter. I would be willing to give it to anyone who might be interested in coming to get it in southern Michigan after I'm done. The interior is in fantastic shape (all door panels and dash are like new - Door panels are cream vinyl and the dash is black.) It also has the rear jump seats, all of the curtains (gold brocade) and reversible panels for coffin or gurney. The hood, front and read bumpers, all lights, and grill are in great shape, as well as most of the stainless moldings. If you have a hearse that needs help, or a full size Caddy with poor chrome on the front, and, or rear, it might be worth your while. With my current project, I don't have the time to part out and sell on EBay. If you might be interested, EMail me so I can contact you when the time comes. Car is in Coldwater, Mi.                                     Greg