Intro message/ Hearse

  • Tommy Pierson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 17, 2003
      Gretings, I now have a '74 Caddy Hearse with 472 and no HP. After
      body repairs, I plan to rebuild or swap the engine to a 500 from
      1970. My question is, Can I get the same Hp by swapping the
      crankshaft and pistons, and replacing the heads? I'm not looking for
      a street sleeper, She weighs about 3 1/2 tons. A '68 Hearse with a
      472 drives like a "normal" car with 375 HP. Thanks, Tom.
    • Janne, Sean PO3
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 17, 2003
        If you're not looking for serious power, why go through all the trouble of
        changing the engine, or the heads, crank and pistons? I would change the
        cam, and maybe raise the compression a bit, and even add an Edelbrock
        intake. That would easily get you the power of a 70' 500 or more!
        And to answer your question, yes, you can change the crank, pistons and
        heads with those from a 500 to make your 472 a 500. I wouldn't go through
        all that trouble though, unless you're building a serious power engine!

        Good luck!,
        Sean Janne
        2000 STS
        1979 Deville 472

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 18, 2003
          the heads are the same if they're the same year.no need to change
          them.
        • Tommy Pierson
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 22, 2003
            I should simplify my question. How can I get more horsepower out of
            my '74 472? Is it feasable to stroke it with stock Caddy parts, and
            can I raise the 220 HP to the '70 specs of 400 without going
            overboard?
          • Bill?
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 23, 2003
              --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Tommy
              Pierson" <tompierson@s...> wrote:
              > I should simplify my question. How can I get more horsepower out of
              > my '74 472? Is it feasable to stroke it with stock Caddy parts, and
              > can I raise the 220 HP to the '70 specs of 400 without going
              > overboard?"

              The only difference between the 472 and 500 is the stroke. you can
              change the crank and use 70' style pistons and heads to make it the
              same as stock 70' 500... You can also offset grind your 472 crank to
              use BBC rods... That will also put you close to 500 ci... The
              Edelbrock intake will raise your carb and add more power, but you may
              have hood clearance issues... Take a look around the MTS site to get
              some ideas of what you can do...

              http://www.500cid.com

              Also, the message/trade boards at this site is the reason that this
              group is here. Many people on this site have spent much time with
              these engines and putting these engines in various types of vehicles.

              http://www.500cid.com/mts/message.htm