Need some help 'buffing up' my Brougham...

  • Chuck
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
      I have an '89 Brougham that I'd like to keep. In order to do so, I'd
      like to make some mods, but need to hear from someone out there who
      might have done some of the things I'd like to-for instance (BTW,
      pls keep in mind I cannot do much of the work myself, and must
      therefore pay to have this done):

      1. I'd like to go to a 14" to 14.5" Trans-Am type steering wheel,
      but with the tilt/telescoping column, I understand this may be
      impossible. Can someone tell me what, if anything I can do here? Did
      Caddy make a wheel that will fit? Paying as much for an 'adapter
      kit' for an aftermarket wheel as for the wheel itself kinda, well,
      sux.

      2. The car has the standard Olds 307 in it; I'd LIKE to have a 350
      put in, as it was the optional engine. Will my current (stock 4-spd
      auto) tranny work with it? Which 350s would be a straight bolt-in?
      ALSO, AND VERY IMPORTANTLY,I'd like to go with a 350 with fuel
      injection. Any ideas here???

      3. IF the 350 doesn't pan out, has anyone worked on the 307 to get
      more oomph out of it? Things like decking/porting & polishing the
      heads, new intake, etc...not TOO radical, however.

      4. Does anyone make disc brake conversions for the Brougham's rear
      drums? Can I 'cannibalize' the discs off of another Caddy and swap
      them for the drums, or is this WAY too much work?

      5. Has anyone put urethane bushings (or made other suspension mods)
      under their similar Caddy to enhance handling...and I DON'T mean air
      ride or suchlike...I want the stock ride height maintained.

      THANKS!!!

      Chuck
    • Scott Pearson
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
        From: "Chuck" <cmk59@...>

        > I have an '89 Brougham that I'd like to keep. In order to do so, I'd
        > like to make some mods, but need to hear from someone out there who
        > might have done some of the things I'd like to-for instance (BTW,
        > pls keep in mind I cannot do much of the work myself, and must
        > therefore pay to have this done):

        Those are a nice car. Be prepared, if you can't do much of the work
        yourself, it's going to get expensive. Not very many shops are familiar with
        doing performance work on Cadillacs.

        > 1. I'd like to go to a 14" to 14.5" Trans-Am type steering wheel,
        > but with the tilt/telescoping column, I understand this may be
        > impossible. Can someone tell me what, if anything I can do here? Did
        > Caddy make a wheel that will fit? Paying as much for an 'adapter
        > kit' for an aftermarket wheel as for the wheel itself kinda, well,
        > sux.

        That may be a bit of a challenge, mostly due to telescoping. It's been a
        while since I've had a tele column apart, but it seems to me there was
        something different in that mechanism. The T/A wheel will bolt to alot of
        aftermarket adapters, if you're talking about one that is mounted with the
        counter-sunk allen head screws.

        > 2. The car has the standard Olds 307 in it; I'd LIKE to have a 350
        > put in, as it was the optional engine. Will my current (stock 4-spd
        > auto) tranny work with it? Which 350s would be a straight bolt-in?
        > ALSO, AND VERY IMPORTANTLY,I'd like to go with a 350 with fuel
        > injection. Any ideas here???

        Olds 350 will bolt in. Depending on how much you modify the engine, the
        transmission may even live behind it. The 200-4R can be built to take some
        power, the Grand National guys put a lot through them.

        Fuel injection can be done on these as well. The best way to do it is to use
        a 70's Seville PFI manifold, run later model injectors with a GM 1227730
        ECM. There's a couple cars running around with this system, one has it on a
        403. Driveability is great and even with a stock junkyard motor, power is
        respectable.

        > 3. IF the 350 doesn't pan out, has anyone worked on the 307 to get
        > more oomph out of it? Things like decking/porting & polishing the
        > heads, new intake, etc...not TOO radical, however.

        It will respond to modifications like any other motor, but why not go with a
        350 or 403? Extra cubes help.

        > 4. Does anyone make disc brake conversions for the Brougham's rear
        > drums? Can I 'cannibalize' the discs off of another Caddy and swap
        > them for the drums, or is this WAY too much work?

        You may be able to use the rear disc system off of a late 70's Trans Am.

        > 5. Has anyone put urethane bushings (or made other suspension mods)
        > under their similar Caddy to enhance handling...and I DON'T mean air
        > ride or suchlike...I want the stock ride height maintained.

        PST may have something for this. It's alot of car to move around, so don't
        expect to challenge a Vette in the corners.

        Scott