429 TO 472 ENGINE SWAP

  • rodcobb2002
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2003
      I HAVE A 1967 CADDY FLEETWOOD WITH A 429. I ALSO HAVE A 1972 CADDY
      WITH A 472. WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO PUT THE 472 AND TRANNY IN THE 1967.

      THANKS, RODNEY
    • Trevor Pordage
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2003
        i have just done this swap in my 67 hearse with a 472 out of a 74.
        i need ed to
        redrill the holes for the engine mounts aproximately 30 mm forward in the
        cross memeber measure distance from transmission mount to engine mount
        centre on both new and old the difference is how far you have to move the
        slots
        if you have access to the donor car measure the distance that the engine
        mount holes are apart i think that the 472 are closer than the 429
        had to use a 68 front sway bar to clear the sump
        cut away radiator support strut to clear oil filter
        moved radiator forward 50 mm used top radiator support panel off of 68
        i used the radiator out of the 74 and had to modify the one of the rubber
        mountings on the top radiator suport panel as the tank was bigger
        swap rear extension housings from 67 box with the new box as the external
        diameter of the slip yoke was different or replace slip yoke
        swap speedo drive gears in case diff ratios are different
        block of return line to fuel tank if you 67 does not have one
        fill with water and oil then have some fun

        trevor
        australia
        67 hearse
        60 m&m hearse
        50 seria62 sedan

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2003
          i just put a posting but did not give you a link to photos
          you can see photos at http://au.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/cadelect67